 Publishing / 4912
4911  |  4913
Subject:
MOCpages? Brickshelf? What should I do?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.announce.mocpages
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2007 06:33:05 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi, everybody.

With all that’s been going on, a lot of people have been asking me things like:

“what should I do?”
“Should I stay on Brickshelf or move to MOCpages?”
“How do I know if any of these services are safe?”

Let me start by saying that Kevin did an amazing job offering Brickshelf to all of us for free, and it’s always been a valuable core to the fan communities. I have hundreds of pictures there, myself. And I know from my own experience running MOCpages that what he’s done has not been easy.

This is my plan, and what I intend to do for the good of all you guys.

MOCpages is, and always has been, a place to share your LEGO creations. Pictures are a very important part of sharing a LEGO creation, but what’s even better that just browsing files is being about to read about creations, to hear what people think, to get ideas, and to learn and grow from each other. And I’ve always believed very strongly in that. That’s why I started MOCpages, and I firmly believe that’s why you guys all use it.

The changes I’ve made to MOCpages this week are here to stay. In fact, I will continue to expand MOCpages’ services so that it can continue to grow with the community and be a strong and solid core for fans everywhere, for years to come. This is something that I’ve always wanted to do, but only recently has it become obvious to me that it’s really needed.

“Who is Sean? Can I trust this guy?”
For those of you that don’t know me, I’ve been heavily involved in the community for a long time. I’ve been collaborating on LUGNET and RTL for over 10 years. I helped launch LEGO Factory with The LEGO Company back in 2003. I build town, sculpture, and micro, although few know I have a huge ‘80s space collection. :) Together with folks like Robin Sather, I helped create the LEGO Ambassadors program. (I designed that logo!) :) I have good working professional relationships with many, many LEGO Company employees, and speak with them daily. And I’m one of the world’s five LEGO Certified Professionals; my full-time, self-employed, day-job is creating LEGO sculptures and running MOCpages. Before I became a full-time “LEGO guy” I worked for 10 years designing humane, approachable, and purposeful solutions for web applications.

Money?
As a business owner, I know that the only way to keep any service alive is to run it with a solid financial plan. For years now, MOCpages has been paying its own bills, covering the cost of servers, upgrades, moderation, and maintinence. But as the site grows, these will expenses grow, and I will be rolling out three additional revenue streams: 1) membership, 2) sponsorship, and 3) affilliations. The purpose of diversified income is so that there is no failure point; if one pulls in less money for some reason, the others can cover it. I’ll have more details on the specifics of these later, because right now I’m still putting the business plan togther.

Because “paid memberships” have been a sticking point here in the forums lately, I want to address it specifically. I’ve been analyzing how people use sites like MOCpages and Brickshelf, and how they share their creations. The continued free MOCpages service will be designed so that most of you can still use (and be very happy with) the service not having to pay anything. Those who want to flex their virutal muscles can sign up for a paid membership, of which there will be two levels. (Basic and Premium, for example.) The two paid levels will get you all sorts of really cool features in addition to just more storage or other “basic nessecities”. I’m excited about them, frankly, and I’ll share more when development of these cool new features is underway and price points are available. I want to stress again that MOCpages will stay fundamentally free, much as it is today.

AFOLs rock
But it all comes back to you guys. MOCpages is only a success because of the of people use it. Last month, over 1.2 million people came to see your creations. And 85% of the regulars show up every day. It fills me with joy to hear things like DecoJim’s story, who found a club and made friends, all because of MOCpages. (And he’s one of my favorite builders, to boot!)

So to answer those questions, “what should I do?” ... I’d personally love to see you guys come to MOCpages. It’s up to you, of course, but we’re going to have a great time there and it’s only going to get better.

Sean
- - -
MOCpages admin
www.mocpages.com