 Announcements / 3574
3573  |  3575
Subject:
MOCpages, now a Brickshelf alternative
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.general, lugnet.announce.mocpages
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 06:15:52 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi, everyone...

With the looming shut-down of Brickshelf, I would like to offer MOCpages as a safe alternative for everyone to continue posting their LEGO creations. In light of this, MOCpages now offers free image hosting.

Of course, you can also always use MOCpages with flickr, photobucket, maj, or any other popular image hosting service... it supports full HTML in your pages (and there are some tips on the help pages if you don’t know HTML.)

Now that Brickshelf is going I would be very sad if there weren’t a place for everyone to gather and see what’s new. MOCpages has that great one-stop-shopping, and I’m actively working on making it even better for everyone (kids and adults alike). My vision has always been for the site to be a place where people can share their ideas with each other and learn from each other.

Over the past 4 years, MOCpages has grown, a lot... it currently gets about 20% the visitors that Brickshelf does. In anticipation of the new image hosting and of lots of new users, MOCpages is getting a spiffy new web server tomorrow (that kicks the pants off the old one). They’ll both run together to balance the site’s traffic. I also am interested in recruiting some moderators to help keep posts, uploads, and other user-generated content appropriate. Anyone interested?

I want to assure you that MOCpages won’t suffer the same fate as Brickshelf. MOCpages has been covering its costs for a few years now, and I plan on implementing new revenue streams to keep the site running strong with the new added services. I’d like to implement a (quota/capped) free hosting service, coupled with a subscription service for greater (or unlimited) service. (a la flickr). Right now the new image hosting service is free... but that’s just because I wanted to get it ready for everyone as quickly as possible! :) The subscription service will be supplemented with sponsorhip and other partnerships to keep revenue balanced. LEGO activities are my full time job, and MOCpages is a major chunk of my business operations. It’s not going anywhere, and neither am I.

Sean
- - -
MOCpages admin
LEGO Certified Professional