 Publishing / 4886
Re: MOCpages, now a Brickshelf alternative
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 13:35:03 GMT

In lugnet.publish, John Neal wrote:

   This sounds great, and that was one of my issues, but here is another-- the advent of ads. I realize, of course, the reason for them, but if one were a contributing member, would it be possible for the ads not to appear on one’s page?

I don’t like the ads anymore than you do, it kills me to see them there. But MOCpages had to shift to an advertising model (from a donation model) to stay alive. It’s a sad truth. Over 1,000,000 people visit MOCpages every month... most of them are lurkers (kids, mostly) that would never donate or become members.

I’d like to see ads disappear if you’re a paying member. Here’s the trick: If you pay $x to view a web site ad-free, you are removing $y of ad revenue. And if $y is MORE than $x, we might as well make the whole site free! The trick will be to balance it out; it’s all part of the cost model.

   BTW, good to finally meet you at Brickworld:-)

Same! :) I feel like I’ve known you for 5 or 10 years.. it’s weird to think we never met in person until just last month. :)

Sean
- - -
MOCpages admin
www.mocpages.com