 Publishing / 4893
Re: MOCpages, now a Brickshelf alternative
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 15:12:45 GMT

On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 03:09:58PM +0000, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
Hmm, guess I won't do that then.  It does see odd to me.  The idea of
advertising is the more eyeballs the better.  My TV doesn't penalize
me for watching the commercials even if I don't buy anything.  To the
contrary, they are hoping that since I watch the commercials I may end
up buying something I wasn't originally intending to.  It seems that
if I go to a website it increases the likelihood that I will buy.
Obviously an automated program generating clicks is fraud, but a real
person checking out a real website, even if not with a pre-formed
intent to buy, seems like what advertisers would like.

It's not like you watching a commercial though - it's like you turning
on the TV when you're not home, so that the rating of a show goes up
(and therefor it's revenue from commercials).  If you follow a link of
interest, and end up not buying, that IS good for the advertiser.  But
if you follow the link just to immediately close the browser (or hit
back) without even looking at the page, that's just wasting the
advertiser's money.

Dan

--
Dan Boger