 General / 51824
Re: Ideas and Suggestions for LEGO S@H
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 07:24:51 GMT

  • What do you think LEGO would never do that you’d love to see?
We are still waiting on a classic space legend set (preferably with the “old” grays; yes one more for the classic-gray vote). Personally I would love to see a “classic-space” bucket that contains pieces and instructions to build several of the classic space sets (one at a time) as well as newer pieces and canopies with classic space logos & color schemes to encourage neo-classic-space mocs. While on the topic of classic space, how about classic gray crater baseplates and road & landing pad baseplates?

Switching gears, I would also like to see a Mini-fig based modern military theme. I would especially like to see a WWII warbird theme. If that doesn’t play well with Lego’s “no modern weapons” rule, warbird designs as well as more modern military aircraft designs could be snuck in a “Reno Air-race” or air show theme similar to the “Flight” subtheme of Town that was around in the mid 90’s

Personally, I think that the only way we will see a minifig warbird line (or any other 20th century fighting vehicle) is if Lego releases a historical line of sets similar to the recent discovery/NASA sets. The sets could inlcude a spec. sheet about the aircraft or vehicle that is modeled and highlight how it was historically significant. Maybe something in conjunction with the History channel DVD. Whatever the theme, I don’t think it could be “play-oriented” In other words it might be ok to do sets that study history of war vs. encourage kids to play war.

The other idea I had was to release some warbirds and other military aircraft as part of the sculpture/UCS scale (might be OK since it would be targeted at older builders) It would be really cool to have a P-51/P-38 built to the same scale as the Sopwith Camel. Or even a Spirit of St. Louis or Lockheed Vega from the “golden years” of aviation exploration (20’s-30’s timeperiod) would be way cool.

  • What types of themes/concepts should LEGO stay away from?
As much as I would like to see an official lego Battlestar line, I think 3rd party licensing is not good in the long run. I really appreciate the starwars line up but it has been annoying to see so many iterations of the same vehicle. (xwing-1, x-wing2 etc...) while the lack of any other space line.

Short-lived themes. One of the best things about classic space is that the base theme did not change for years. White,blue,gray,trans-gold,trans-blue persisted as the main colors of classic-space for years. It made it much easier to accumulate a “critical” mass of pieces for my own creations without having to buy multiple copies of the same set.

  • Are there any community projects/products (Moonbase? Great Ball?) that you’d like to see turn into a LEGO set?

Moonbase is nice as a community project but I don’t think it would translate well into a lego theme. However, moonbase fills what has been lacking in the space lineup since the end of classic space; space sets that depict the necessities of life in space. Spacebases, refueling stations, research stations, hydroponics, etc. Essentially, moonbase is “Town” in space. One of the appeals of classic space was that it was more than goodguy/bad guy spaceships and vehicles. There was the space command center, alpha1 rocket base, space supply station, etc.

  • (And as a follow-up to the last question – are there any projects/products that LEGO should stay away from?)

Any fan created themes/factions.

  • What types of products/themes/concepts do you think are missing from the assortment over the years?

Town has been nothing but juniorized fire/police stations for several years.

Theme-based buckets/basic-set/designer-sets would be great.

Life-in-space themes (i.e. there is more to space than just ships & vehicles) just like there is more to town than just fire and police trucks.

thanks for the opportunity for input, drc