 General / 51814
Re: Ideas and Suggestions for LEGO S@H
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2005 06:14:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:

snip

  • What do you think LEGO would never do that you’d love to see?

Bring back classic light gray, dark gray and brown. Better yet, make a set like this (even if in the new colors): http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=709986

-Five packs of minifigs like castle guys or vikings, for around $1 each fig.

-Bring back the previous tubs with flat top.
  1. some more realistic modern aircraft.

  2. more electric lighting... not just light sabres, more flexible.

  • What types of themes/concepts should LEGO stay away from?

Dunno.

  • Are there any community projects/products (Moonbase? Great Ball?) that you’d like to see turn into a LEGO set?

Not particularly.

  • (And as a follow-up to the last question – are there any projects/products that LEGO should stay away from?)

Not particularly.

  • What types of products/themes/concepts do you think are missing from the assortment over the years?

Echo of much of what’s been said...I can’t think much about themes or concepts.. but just based on basic product..
  1. architectural packs: either missing or weak. For example. The current roof pack does not have the inside corner slope.. I think.
  2. arches, more than one color.
  3. windows. How about a range of windows in at least two colors. Instead of white for some sizes and red for others and black for still others. How about white and black in a full range of sizes... or white, black and (reddish)brown?
  4. How about a pack of windscreens? I’m thinking that there are still some key windscreen parts that could be real useful... thinking aircraft mainly.

  • Are there things missing in general? On box? In the instructions? In the box materials?

Box materials: I liked the internal box and the plastic trays that were there in past years. But I can imagine that costs some money, which is tight.

Box art, alternate models: I look at sets in the store, and look at them hard. Do I want this set? What is the real part distribution like? I find it hard to tell by looking at the picture. Virtually always I underestimate the value to me of the contents from a reusablity perspective. If I look it up on peeron, then I get a much better sense. So, there needs to be a better way to illustrate the parts content. I suspect that the target audience for a harry potter set may not care about the part content as much as the model itself. But still, I would presume that most of these sets come apart quickly enough and become something else. A better set of alternate models? I’ve seen AFOLS do some amazing alternate models .. they could be employed do do this.

Or not.

-Ken