 General / 51827
Re: Ideas and Suggestions for LEGO S@H
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:10:04 GMT

"Bill Ward" <bill@wards.net> wrote in message news:InHMI1.147p@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
* What do you think LEGO would never do that you'd love to see?

Wholesale S@H: This would be a very good way to promote LEGO trains. • Unlike
most toys, model trains are not sold through big box stores.  Hobby and • small
toy shops have a notoriously difficult time with LEGO because LEGO's • retail
distribution system is optimized for Wal-Mart and TRU.  How about letting • S@H
handle these customers?  Let them order whatever sets they want in • whatever
quantities they want (with certain minimums required) and they get a • wholesale
price that's not as good as what the big box stores get, but still • allowing them
to sell at MSRP for profit.  Let anyone with a state resale permit do • this, and
keep the minimum purchase rates high enough to discourage all but the most
hardcore AFOL's from pretending to be a retailer just to get the discount.

[ ... snipped ... ]

This already exists, it is called the "Small Retailer Program".  I don't
know how successful it has been or how well known it is known but it does
exist.  There is a model train store near me which carried a fair amount of
LEGO Trains for a while but earlier this summer they chose to discontinue
doing it.  I don't know all of the details but the owner told me that LEGO
wouldn't let him have any of the newer train stuff (like BNSF loco) and
pushed a lot of the MyOT stuff at him.  He had track and some of the
buildings along with the full sets, motors, and speed controllers but none
of the locomotives.  After an initial positive experience, he got frustrated
and decided not to carry them any more.  He let the members of NCLTC
liquidate his remaining stock at 50% off.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com