 General / 51815
Re: Ideas and Suggestions for LEGO S@H
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2005 07:31:11 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:

  • What do you think LEGO would never do that you’d love to see?

1)A Batman License. Spider-man was ok, but Batman would rock. A Batmobile, Batplane, Batboat, etc. A $90-$100 Batcave set. Villians’ lairs, Arkham Asylum, GCPD HQ with Comm. Gordon and a working Batsignal. Yeah, give me Batman.

2)A ‘Lord of the Rings’ type fantasy theme. Not an actual LotR license, but a fantasy theme ‘inspired’ by LotR (like the Adventurers theme/Indiana Jones). Wizards, Elves, Dwarves, Goblins, Trolls, etc.

3)A Designer type set of Flora and Fauna. Green foliage pieces and brown bricks and half arches to make trees and shrubs. Maybe some black and white 1x1 brick and plates to make birch trees. And brick built forest animals like deer or wild boar - all in minifig scale. Also, a companion set in which the Flora comes in Autumn colors.

  • What types of themes/concepts should LEGO stay away from?

The new Dino theme troubles me somewhat. Dino Attack has the look and feel of a MegaBloks theme with the modern looking weapons and premolded evil looking dinos. I think this is deliberate as North America and Australia (where MB has a significant presence) get the ‘violent’ sets, and Europe (where MB has little or no presence) get a non-violent version. Now, when the general populace regularly confuse LEGO and MB, does TLC really want to blur the line between the two brands even further?

  • Are there any community projects/products (Moonbase? Great Ball?) that you’d like to see turn into a LEGO set?

1)A Moonbase starter kit. A set that includes specialty pieces for building moonbase modules, plus an instruction book explaining the moonbase standard, the history of the moonbase and a moonbase ‘idea book’ section.

2)A Great Ball Contraption starter kit (see #1)

3)Classic Castle Standard modular walls. A straight wall set. Corner wall with round tower, corner wall with square tower, Gatehouse, etc.

4)Vignette sets. In the absence of Minifig Packs, Vignette sets could fill in. These would be especially good in licensed products where TLC cannot sell minifigs apart from a construction set. Star Wars Vignette sets could give fans long desired minifigs like Queen Amidala or Nute Gunray - Cantina vigs could contain some of the more popular Cantina aliens (sets could contain 3-6 vigs to keep down on sku’s).

5)Fan made elements like BBB train wheels or Blasterman’s Star Wars weapons.

  • (And as a follow-up to the last question – are there any projects/products that LEGO should stay away from?)

Specific Moonbase or Great Ball sets would defeat the purpose of the community aspect of these projects.

  • What types of products/themes/concepts do you think are missing from the assortment over the years?

1)Ancient history themes.

2)Clothing AFOLs wouldn’t mind wearing. Last year TLC produced a ballcap with the Classic Space logo on it (which was great). Me? I’d like a blue T-shirt with the Black Falcons’ shield design on the front.

  • Are there things missing in general? On box? In the instructions? In the box materials?

1)As others have noted - it’s difficult to tell black from dark grey in the instruction books.

2)Not sure where to put this, but...concerning fleshtones...I had no problem with the classic yellow fig, but when fleshtones appeared, I found I preferred them to the yellow. However, this fleshtones for licensed figs and yellow for non-licensed figs is frustrating. Either make all minifigs fleshtone or make them all yellow, but choose one, please?

Ken

Thanks for your contribution!

Kelly McKiernan
LEGO Ambassador