 General / 51751
Re: Ideas and Suggestions for LEGO S@H
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 07:09:30 GMT

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Kelly McKiernan wrote:

The LEGO Ambassadors have been asked to provide some suggestions to the
LEGO Shop at Home people about what types of things we AFOLs would like
to see offered or available from S@H.

When I think of S@H specifically, I think of service packs.  I generally
find the service pack selection from S@H to be bizarre.  10046? 10007?
10047?  I suppose that there is some business case for those sets, but
some systemization and consistency would be nice.

For instance, in the 'basic element' category, I would have the
"perennial" sets: 10145 (bricks) and 10148 (plates) in the ten basic
colors (red, blue, yellow, black, white, green, gray (mdstone), dkgray
(dkstone), brown (redbrown), and tan); the three basplates; and slopes
(10160+10161+gables) in black.  Then offer explicitly limited-run versions
of all of those in other colors (possibly even pre-selling) to get the
other colors (sandgreen, sandred, dkred, dkorange, orange, purple,
dkgreen, navyblue, etc.) out to consumers while not filling a wherehouse
with slow-moving bags.

In the "specialized element" category, perennials would include the
sorely-missed 3507 (and perhaps other colors, most obviously smoke), train
track and accessories, tile packs, Technic bricks and beams, electrical
elements, and "generic town stuff" (roadplates, fences, roadsigns(!!!),
windows).  Limited-run items could include jumpers in various colors,
tiles in odd colors, minifig theme accessories, . . .

(Note that the following don't really, to me, seem to have anything to do
with S@H.)

* What do you think LEGO would never do that you’d love to see?

A minifig WWII theme.

* What types of products/themes/concepts do you think are missing from the
  assortment over the years?

Stability.  Except for a few instances---Space 1978--1987, Castle
1984--1992, etc., consumers can't come to the stores and find sets similar
to those sold a year previously.  (Bionicle comes closest today, but with
a completely new product line every six months and a new island every two
years it doesn't quite fit.)  This doesn't matter to AFOLs, who have
already realized that all themes are spare parts for Castle.  I cannot
think, however, of a more effective way of discouraging casual (especially
young) consumers from becoming fans of the Brick.

* Are there things missing in general? On box? In the instructions? In the box
  materials?

In-set catalogs.  My rant is already written.
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=50590

Thank you,
--
TWS Garrison