 General / 51753
Re: Ideas and Suggestions for LEGO S@H
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:49:49 GMT

"Kelly McKiernan" <kelly@anagrafyxx.com> wrote in message
news:In950L.H11@lugnet.com...

This is a theoretical discussion, so there are no limitations on
suggestions. Of
course, things like "free bricks for everyone" and other implausible
suggestions
are likely to not make it through the review, if you get my drift. But as
far as
topics go, this is a "sky's the limit" discussion.

Wow!  And here I was thinking that somebody would never ask this kind of
question!  Guess I was wrong!  ;)

* What do you think LEGO would never do that you'd love to see?

Bring back elements that are out of production which they don't have the
molds for.  I'd love to see a retooled monorail track version, perhaps they
could make a better track system for it while they're retooling it.  They
may want to reconsider bringing back the LEGO Legends line.  Particularly of
interest would be whether they could do a Classic Space set, or perhaps they
would be better off seeing if they could package a set of elements that
would build a lot of Classic Space type vehicles, as quite a few of them
were quite small by today's standards.  I'd like to see a return to simpler
printed patterns which have the older computers and monitor screens on them,
and of course some simple good old radiator grille bricks for the space
fans.  I would like to see them go and do Classic Space in new colors and
themes, and not just revisit M-Tron, etc.

* What types of themes/concepts should LEGO stay away from?

Anything death and destruction, IE wars - much as they are currently doing
now.  I've read that a lot of people from WW2 would just like to forget it
ever happened and not see anything like it in their lifetimes again.  I
honestly agree with their POV.

* Are there any community projects/products (Moonbase? Great Ball?) that
you'd
like to see turn into a LEGO set?

It would be lovely to see some sets geared towards easier production of GBC
modules, a large problem though is that to get a lot of modules you need a
lot of bricks, and a lot of designs - say at least 6-8 different kit types
to start with.

Some GBC contraptions can use up large numbers of bricks especially if there
is going to be more than one way through a module, or if the module wants to
do anything fancy with the balls it receives.  I would recommend that they
investigate changing part quantities of existing sets (RIS, Technic part
packs, etc) to be better suited to GBC style contraptions.  I would
especially recommend that they continue molding of and releasing more larger
packs with Technic link tread elements in them.  ;-)

* (And as a follow-up to the last question - are there any
projects/products
that LEGO should stay away from?)

Mostly anything that would cause injury to small children who might try to
aim LEGO parts at their friends/relatives.  Other than that, they should
stay away from BURP parts and juniorized pieces, as they are really hard to
integrate into most MOCs.

* What types of products/themes/concepts do you think are missing from the
assortment over the years?

I'd like to see them expand with the Educational elements they have bought
over to the retail line from the Educational sets, and perhaps even release
some elements usually only in the educational line into the RIS or Technic
systems.

I am also really missing seeing a town lineup, they did have a really good
town building assortment a while back, but what puzzles me is why they
didn't adapt some of their bulk element packs to this idea and keep the
concept alive - I'd sure like for some of my minifigs to have homes to go
back to, instead of a cramped cardboard box or plastic bag!

I could probably scrape together parts myself, but a high-rise building with
modular flooring concepts would be an exceptional idea!

* Are there things missing in general? On box? In the instructions? In the
box
materials?

One thing I really miss seeing are alternate model concepts for the models
on the box!  And for once I'd like to see them put instructions for
alternate models into the instruction booklet itself, where practical.  They
could even release alternate model instruction sets as a web-based concept
and host an archive somewhere so nobody needs to feel left out of finding
the joys of an alternate model idea.

Thanks for your contribution!

You're welcome, hope this gives them some ideas!

--
Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde