 General / 51779
Re: Ideas and Suggestions for LEGO S@H
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 24 Sep 2005 02:14:12 GMT

Hi there,

In lugnet.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   The LEGO Ambassadors have been asked to provide some suggestions to the LEGO Shop at Home people about what types of things we AFOLs would like to see offered or available from S@H.

I was delighted to see this posting this morning. But I wanted to think about my response for a bit to make sure it didn’t just end up as jibberish. :)

One thing did cross my mind. From the description above I wasn’t sure if you/they were just looking for things that Shop At Home could change/improve/offer exclusive of anything else going on in the company or whether this was a discussion of things that LEGO itself might produce that would then be offered via Shop At Home. So an example of the first thing might be for Shop At Home to begin using different packaging to ship orders. That’s something they could possibly change without having to have it affect the rest of the company. But an example of the latter would be something like LEGO creating new sets/parts etc. that would then become Shop At Home items, but possibly also available elsewhere, and thus affect the entire company. Maybe I’m overthinking the question. LOL

Given what I’ve said above my answers below are based on the idea that these things might be new products/parts etc. that LEGO could produce and that would then be sold via Shop At Home. These are just ideas... not demands, not rants and are not intended to suggest that anything already being offered is wrong. This is just some brainstorming and offering of some, “what if....” thoughts.

I also wanted to note that some of the ideas below are not completely original, in fact I think some may have already been mentioned in this thread. So by posting them I don’t intend to claim them as my own, but rather this is simply my interpretation of what I think might be good ideas. And in cases where there is repeat, then it’s a way of saying, “yes, I also think that’s a great idea!”

So let me get on with it already. :)

  • What do you think LEGO would never do that you’d love to see?

Miniland scale sets. Obviously large buildings are out of the question, but what about cars, figures, small street scenes etc? I find it interesting that they are the core of the models at the theme parks but they don’t really find their way into retail sets.

  • What types of themes/concepts should LEGO stay away from?

I’m not sure that any theme is necessarily bad, so long as it is family friendly. However, when it comes to concepts there is one thing that comes to my mind. Wherever possible, no matter the theme, try to tie sets back to the basic system bricks, even if specialized parts are used to create the look/mood of the set. What does this mean? For example, when I look at the Summer 2005 Shop At Home catalog and see the Dino Attack sets I think they look pretty cool. Lots of action, lots of excitement. But I also look at the two page spread of sets and see four different vehicles, but not a single building of any kind. What about a base or headquarters for the Dino wranglers to work out of? That building could be made from a bunch of common basic parts which would lend themselves to being made into.... well you know, just about anything else. :)

A similar comment was made to me by a co-worker a while ago. She said, “Michael loves Bionicles, but he wants a fort for them to live in.” It’s great to see that we now have the Tower of Toa, so maybe there’s hope that Shadow, Digger, Specs and Viper will yet have a shelter to retreat to when the Dinos are just too much! :)

The LEGO system was originally based on regular bricks, slopes and eventually plates. Those pieces are no less useful today than they were 50 years ago. And while I don’t dispute the need to create some new elements to add excitement, I also feel the need for common bricks is as great today as ever. One comment I hear time and again from parents is, “my kids love LEGO but they just never have enough of the regular pieces to make what they want.” So rather than simply relying on assorted buckets and tubs to provide those bricks, why not maximize their inclusion in themed sets?

  • Are there any community projects/products (Moonbase? Great Ball?) that you’d like to see turn into a LEGO set?

I think the full-sized moon base might be fun, but would the average kid be able to afford very many modules? The mini (micro?) moon base on the other hand... wouldn’t that be fun? That way you could build up a collection of several different modules and really get to enjoy the concept of connecting them together.

  • (And as a follow-up to the last question – are there any projects/products that LEGO should stay away from?)

Licensed products/themes. While one could well argue that the Star Wars and Harry Potter sets have been highly visible and well-received items, it also pays to listen to parents who simply say, “that’s so expensive compared to some of their other stuff.” And I’ve heard those comments again and again. The LEGO system of elements is so rich and so deep that endless unique and interesting themes are possible without renting ideas from other creative people.

  • What types of products/themes/concepts do you think are missing from the assortment over the years?
  • Are there things missing in general? On box? In the instructions? In the box materials?

Rather than answer the last two questions directly, I thought I’d post a list of a few things I think might be worth thinking about.

Call this, “Back to Basics” if you like. I think the company has already committed to that direction, so perhaps some of these items are already in the pipe:

1. Basic elements (One): LEGO is recognized, to this day, for the basic elements that were there from the beginning. Where possible, focus on basic parts in standard/classic colors. I fell that making core elements (bricks, plates and slopes) available in the core colors (red, blue, yellow, white, black, green, orange, grey) should be a high priority. They could be available as bulk packs, in assorted tubs and buckets, or as part of themed sets as noted earlier. Specialized elements, used to create new and exciting sets, are fine. But when a child is ready to build their own creations they need to have large quantities of standard elements available. How many mothers and fathers have wondered, “where can I just buy basic bricks for my child?”

2. Basic elements (Two): What if... you were to bring some rare classic elements back to being common parts in the system? ex. 4x4 elbow brick, 2x2 macaroni brick, 1x1x1 window, 2x2 concave/convex slope.

3. Basic elements (Three): It might not hurt to think about creating new classic elements, such as the 3x3 standard brick and 3x3 standard plate. Or, the 3x3 33-degree concave slope. Elements already released, like the new 4x4 macaroni brick, would fit into this category, but the key is that these elements need to be produced in sufficient quantities so as to be highly available and therefore useful all builders. The criteria for declaring a new piece to be a new classic could be asking the question, “does this piece look like it could have been released in 1958? If the answer is ‘yes’ then the piece is a classic regardless of how new it is.

4. Basic elements (Four): There is really only one word I would keep in mind when considering a new element. That word is ‘reusability’. Ask the questions, “is this part necessary?” “Does this part offer several possible uses, or is it too specialized?” “Does this part harmonize with the core elements of the LEGO system, or is it change for the sake of change?” “If this is a single part doing the job of two existing parts, then why are we making this new part?”

5. Windows and doors: I think it might be time for a major overhaul of windows and doors for two reasons. First, to bring the designs into the 21st century. Second, to expand the sizes and shapes available to builders. Windows available in the early days of the LEGO system offered a wide range of building designs. Look at what was done before and simply offer more current designs but in a similarly comprehensive range. And even though many kids today haven’t known a world without microwave ovens, CD players, home computers and the internet, they still like to make houses out of LEGO bricks. I’m convinced they really do.

6. Wheels and Tires: Although not necessarily a core set of elements, wheels and tires are none-the-less one of the things kids (and parents) often find lacking in the LEGO system. As with windows and doors, maybe it’s time for a complete revisit of this subset of parts. Standardization of sizes and shapes is essential. That doesn’t mean that there can’t be design changes from year to year, just that the overall specifications for these parts should remain limited so as to enhance reusability. In other words, you should be able to find tires from today that will fit wheels made years from now and vice versa. Wheeled vehicles aren’t going away, so why not develop a long-term strategy to enhance ability of children to build them? I believe this item might have actually been mentioned in one of the keynote speeches at Brickfest 05? My memory isn’t 100%, but I think it might have been Jørgen Vig Knudstrop who noted that LEGO is already working toward this idea, so all I can say is, “thank you!”

7. Assorted buckets and tubs: Is it possible to standardize the patterns used to determine the contents of buckets/tubs for the long term? Could tubs and buckets have designations like Designer sets? Could they find ways to bring levels of skill into the assorted bucket/tub range of products. For many years Meccano offered numbered sets that increased in part quantity and building potential with each graduation. The plans included with each set were models you could make with that set. When you bought a #6 set, for example, there were some models you could make with that set. Then when you added set #6A into your collection there were yet more models you could make with your original pieces and the new supplementary pieces you added.

In terms of LEGO products this could translate into small sets of basic bricks, plates and slopes with larger sets incorporating more specialized pieces like hydrant bricks, headlight bricks, macaroni bricks and so on. The goal is to make sure that all levels of skill (and affordability) are covered but in a planned and sustainable way. Simply releasing ‘different’ buckets and tubs each year is not an effective way to do this.

As a side note to this item: Would it be advisable to revisit the packaging of assorted sets to see if any changes can be implemented that can save on packaging and/or shipping costs? In other words, are the large plastic tubs really the best way to deliver these goods? Can they be sold separately as a storage item, rather than being used as a shipping container?

8. Numbers and Letters: What about bringing back lettered/numbered 1x1 bricks/tiles? Give kids the opportunities afforded by the early system bulk packs. They can spell their own names, the names of buildings they create and so on. Again, what was successful before can be used as inspiration for new products.

9. My Own Creation Sets: I think this was a great concept that was perhaps a bit underutilized. Would it be possible to continue with/expand releasing more fan designed models. Or, if not fan sets, then begin to showcase the in-house designers of new sets. The key to the success of this line is promotion. If people know this is a fan-designed model, they may be more willing to invest. Or, if they know this is a new set from their favorite LEGO designer they may be excited by seeing new work from that person. Don’t be afraid to make a big deal out of the designer.

10. Legends: Simply put: consider releasing more Legends. Not every old set is worth re-releasing, not every old set looks modern enough to be sold again. But looking back at the thousands of old sets in the LEGO archives, there must be more than can live again.

Before I forget... thank you for offering us this chance to throw some ideas out there. I doubt that many companies would ask such questions of their customers/fans, so I just want you to know that I, for one, appreciate it.

Best regards,
Allan B.