 General / 51759
Re: Ideas and Suggestions for LEGO S@H
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:34:56 GMT

  • What types of themes/concepts should LEGO stay away from?

I appreciate that LEGO stays away from warfare that is based on 20th century technology. Warfare/Violent based themes, e.g. castle, ninja, pirates that are pre-20th Century still seem okay.

Things to add/change:
  • new track geometries
  • bulk bags of basic bricks should have a more complete selection. I would like to see individual bags of the following types of pieces: Plates: 1x1, x2, x3, x4, x6, x8 2x2, x2 Corner (L), x3, x4, x6, x8, x10, x16
Bricks: 1x1, x2, x3, x4, x6, x8, x10 2x2, x2 Corner (L), x3, x4

I would much rather buy a bag of X of Piece Y than to buy the assortment bags that in the end give me more pieces than I will ever use. I know what I am building and what pieces I need; the assortment bags just don’t fill that need.
  • Offer the bulk packs from DACTO on S&H. Its a nuisance to have to go to two different places to get different elements produced by the same company.
  • Pick a standard set of wheels. It seems that with each new theme or set the wheel geometry is different. The downside is that if you buy a single set and get 4 wheels the same; in the future if you like would like to build something that takes advantage of those specific wheels your options are limited because
I don’t mind changing the wheels - but do we really need a different set of wheels for each model of the same style or scale?
  • Related to wheels - work on a decent suspension system. I actually thought the suspension developed for the 8880 Super Car was really good. But again, like the wheels, it was a one-of. If you come up with a decent suspension system, use it and exploit it.
It just seems like there is a lot of churn in the product offering just for the sake of churn. I would be more selective about what parts of the product offering are churned. The beauty of LEGO is that given an appropriate set of starting building blocks, you should be able to build whatever you want. Why do some things like wheels need to be reinvented ( pun intended ) for each new model that comes along. Auto makers don’t do this - why does LEGO?

Churn the output ( the finished model ) not the input ( the elements ). I think LEGO is starting to get this with the Designer Sets.
  • I would like to see the Model Team theme brought back - but maybe with a slightly larger scale, e.g. Miniland scale. Also, some models using the 1:13 scale with the X-Large Technic Wheels would be sweet.