 General / 51782
Re: Ideas and Suggestions for LEGO S@H
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 24 Sep 2005 05:47:33 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
The LEGO Ambassadors have been asked to provide some suggestions to the LEGO
Shop at Home people about what types of things we AFOLs would like to see
offered or available from S@H. This is a good opportunity for you to make a
serious suggestion that will get passed on to those who are in charge of S@H.
Of course, this in no way guarantees that any of the suggestions will
necessarily bear fruit, but you never know until you suggest. I'll collate
the results by the end of the weekend, although that doesn't necessarily mean
later posts will be excluded.

This is a theoretical discussion, so there are no limitations on suggestions.
Of course, things like "free bricks for everyone" and other implausible
suggestions are likely to not make it through the review, if you get my
drift. But as far as topics go, this is a "sky's the limit" discussion.

* What do you think LEGO would never do that you'd love to see?

• Get rid of the new grays & brown and bring back the old ones
• Make some old gray pieces at least for Classic Space Legend sets
• Make all the boxes with a yellow border, like they used to in the 1980's (not
practical at all; just for sentimental reasons)

* What types of themes/concepts should LEGO stay away from?

• Themes that aren't expandable.  For instance, with the soccer sets, there
wasn't a lot that LEGO could make in Soccer's second year of production that
offered much variety over what had been made to begin with.  The theme had a
very narrow scope.

* Are there any community projects/products (Moonbase? Great Ball?) that
  you’d like to see turn into a LEGO set?

• I think that in order to make Moonbase & GBC sets right, there would have to
be lots of pieces in each set...enough pieces that each set would be too
expensive to be marketable.  LEGO could make scaled down versions, but they just
wouldn't do justice to the community projects.
• I think that the best things LEGO can glean from the community, as far as
ideas for producing sets, are MOC's for the My Own Creation series.  The MOC
sets that we've seen so far have been great.  Sets from LEGO Digital Designer
are a good idea, but I prefer minifig scale sets, like the Blacksmith Shop.

* (And as a follow-up to the last question – are there any projects/products
  that LEGO should stay away from?)

• PLEASE stay (get) away from making roadplate packs that have 1 crossroad and 1
straight road packaged together.  You need about 6-12 straight roadplates for
every 1 crossroad that you have.  I'm sure many people would agree that packs of
roadplates need to have just 1 type of plate, that way we can buy whichever kind
we need.

* What types of products/themes/concepts do you think are missing from the
  assortment over the years?

• It depends on which years you're talking about.  I think it's been at least 10
years since we've seen a Castle minifig pack.  LEGO currently sells a great Town
MF pack, plus a hat & hair pack that's mostly Town themed.  Space MF's are easy
to make from MF parts from other themes.  Castle MF's, however, are the hardest
to make and come by.  Take a look on ebay.  Castle MF's sell for astronomical
prices.  I realize if lots of people asked for a Viking MF pack, LEGO would have
a good reason for not making it--people who are after the MF's would buy the
smaller MF pack instead of the large Viking set.  So here's my idea: LEGO could
make Castle MF packs that are a year or two behind whatever Castle sets they're
producing.  A year or two isn't too long for an AFOL to wait, when they can
already get the MF in a larger set that's available now.

* Are there things missing in general? On box? In the instructions? In the
  box materials?

• The pictures in the instructions seem to be a little overdone, as far as
quality--particularly the shading.  When a set has black and dark gray together,
sometimes the color shading makes it hard to tell which color of piece you're
supposed to use.  The old instructions were fine (and probably cheaper to make).
• I think many would like the opportunity to buy an entire K8/9 of a single
piece.  I'm sure it would only be economically practical for LEGO to make boxes
of the pieces if they knew that several people would buy large quantities of
that same piece.  Maybe they could set up some online survey or something to
gather information on which pieces have enough demand to sell well.
• There seem to be a few gaps in the types of elements that LEGO makes, like
slopes that don't have an inverted version, etc.  I think there are some basic
parts that could be easily incorporated into sets, as well as be made into bulk
packs.  Some things I had in mind are: 1X3 tiles, macaroni plates, 2X2X3
inverted slopes and 4X4 round plates.

Thanks for your contribution!

Thanks for the chance to contribute!

{Kelly McKiernan