 General / 18317
Re: A new scan for 371 (doubting on fake or real)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 17:39:41 GMT

In lugnet.general, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

After I saw the rest of the building instruction, I'm totally doubting.

I never saw a so badly drawn building instruction! Compare the wheels in the
steps three and four.
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/4976/0371-03.jpg
Looks really like drawn by hand. But that's a fact which makes me believe in
that instruction even more.

Or the white 2x3x0.33 plates in step seven: even in the idea books there are • no
such low quality drawings.
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/4976/0371-04.jpg

But where's the battery box? At least there's a way for the cables to the • motor
contacts.

I'm really confused about that building instruction and have never seen
somthing similar before....

Regards,

Ben

I would have to side on the belief that this is a fake for a couple of
reasons.  After looking at 60's and early 70's instructions on brickshelf I
would say that the poor quality of these instructions is a dead giveaway.
I would also like to point out that a long nose tractor with tandem axles in
rear and a sleeper that is over the top of the cab is a clear product of the
80's and 90's.  Trucks just did not look like this in the 60's and 70's.
Also note that these sets were only available in Europe, not the US where a
truck that looks like this would be most likely to be found.
On another note, the battery box could be held in the hand and it would hook
to the motor just in front of the windshield.  Look at the instructions for
335 (I think?) for an example of this old style motor.

If I'm wrong about this I will gladly eat my words!
Daniel