 General / 18339
Re: A new scan for 371 (doubting on fake or real)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 13:25:59 GMT

Maybe I'm missing something really basic here, but I'm certain
that the 2x2 "L" shaped plates used in the fender assembly shown
in step one were not even available until the late 80's.  The
1x3 plates were also not available in this era, and were introduced
in the late 70's

And, oddly, step two actually shows that the 2x2 "L's" spontaneously
change into 1x2 plates instead.  This is most laughable since if it
were correct, would make the fender hopelessly weak and fragile once
the weight of the exhaust pipes in step four were added.  Actually,
the fender is hopelessly weak in either case -- since it is still
relying only on 1x2s for support.  IMHO, there is 100% liklihood
that no TLG model designer would make such an outrageously poorly
engineered construction.

Here is my take:  Someone found a photo of this truck.  It is either
an MOC, or perhaps from an old idea book or old store display.  They
attempted to make instructions for the truck based on how they
thought it might be built.  Unfortunately, their Lego history was
weak, and they inadvertently used parts that were not even available
in the era the truck is supposed to be from.  Not only that, they
are both poor at making instructions, and poor at contrstructing
models from a picture.  I'd say again (with high liklihood) that the
fender assembly in question uses a 2x2 plate to hold it onto the
truck in the front, and a 2x3 plate to hold it onto the underside of
the motor in the rear.  I make this conclusion by looking at the
picture of the truck on the instruction book cover, and by using
common sense.

All, IMNSHO.

Mark K