 General / 18364
Re: A new scan for 371 (some proof?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 17:49:21 GMT

Jason Proksch wrote:

I whole heartedly agree with Mark's take on this scam - I
mean scan.  Neither of the pieces mentioned were availble at
this time. And, based on a previous comment, this is not even
a sixties era real truck design. I can't say I believe the
original poster that this is a real instruction that he has. If
it is, just put some other scans up that show that this is not
a digital manipulation. Let's see the instructions carefully
folded over to reveal both sides at once as well as the natural
error such a scan would produce. Or how about a scan showing
multiple images or even the entire page at once. How about
showing a hand lifting the scan off the glass a bit to see
some distortion. I am highly suspect and surprised so many
legendary lego fans have been taken by this. It is a cool trick,
and well done, but common sense should reveal that
this is a forgery.

Reinhard \"Ben\" Beneke wrote:

Who sold the 371 instruction? Has that guy a name and can
he tell something about the most rare building instruction on
earth? After 36 hours nobody who have has heared of that set:
that makes me more sceptical again.  I was nearly accepting it
as a regular TLG paper yesterday, but now the doubts grow
again.....

I was going to post something yesterday, but got very busy with
work... That and I read Jason's posting about wanting more
scans.  Well here they are:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/4976/

Picts 1-4 show the instructions on my sorting table.  Picts 5-6
are just test picts of my LEGO room (I moved into my house a
few months back & hadn't had time to move all my LEGO upstairs
yet).  Picts 7-10 are more 'action' shots -- hopefully proving
that it's not a digital forgery.  I offer pict 8 as to what
I hope to be the best example of proof.

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/4976/0000/misc/room-008.jpg

I had rescanned in page 7 & 8 of the #371 instructions to show
the "printed in USA" line, and had planned on posted them
yesterday, but the more I thought about it, it would seemed like
a slide-of-hand trick; so I waited until I was able to post
the 'action' shots.  As you can see in 7a & 8a, they're weren't
digital manipulations of the 332 instruction or a MOC print pasted
to another instruction page.

I also posted picts for 331/332/333.  They were printed in the US,
and are slightly different from the Euro version.

Now, I do apologize.  I did state in a previous post:

   "However, the non-instruction parts (or the live photos)
    of other sets 331/332/333 included this copy of #371
    along with the other large vehicles."

I mistook the #334 in the pictures for the #371.  All classic blue
semi's look the same to me at 4am when I scanned them.  ;)

Also, if this doesn't clear up any doubt, let me know.  I'm willing
to send the set of instructions to any classic LEGO expert to
verify or deny it's authenticity... as long as they can guarantee
that the instructions will not be harmed & returned promptly.

--Mike.