 General / 18378
Re: A new scan for 371 (some proof?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 17:55:38 GMT

I just wanted to thank Michael Huffman for this scan. I mean that sincerely too.
This has been very exciting. I never posted to this web site before, but this
was the catalyst for my participation. I am still a bit confused, but must admit
those latest pictures are quite convincing. I apologize for my harsh critique
earlier in this thread. Even if it is not real and you did some how manage to
create such a fine instruction sheet, I compliment you on your craftsmanship.

The current evidence suggests that this clearly is not just a digital
manipulation. Furthermore, the sheet itself appears to at least be printed on a
material very similar (if not the exact same) as other sheets of the era. I am
not convinced this is from a real set, however. I plan to do some research into
60's era real semi's (as I know very little) to see when models of this style
were produced. What a great mystery!

I think we can narrow the possibilities down to 4:

1. This is a real set that we somehow never knew about. (It is possible. It
seems that US 60's lego (Samsonite) are not well known. We do know they used
different materials and I believe diffrerent colors. Hey, that reminds me I have
a genuine Samsonite early 60's set for a giant two story house in a huge box. I
have never seen that listed anywhere - I am at work but I think it is #717 or
possibly #712. Anyone heard of this one? - I know not as interesting...)

2. This is some sort of prototype that never got past the instruction stage (why
would they make such a formal instruction sheet for a non existent set? Perhaps
that would explain the errors and problems with the drawings)

3. This was a highly crafted forgery that was given to Michael with the other
scans without him knowing it was a fake. (What would be the reason for creating
something so detailed only to forget about it and eventually sell it?)

4. Michael created this as a joke. (He would have to be very good? And based on
his messages, be pretty mischievous. He sure comes across sincere.)

I am now leaning more toward the first 2 options. Perhaps the poor quality
reflects Samsonites inability to match lego's quality. Come to think of it, my
#717? Samsonite has some errors (or inconsistencies) in its instructions as
well.

But, the big question is, should this scan be verified - would it be up for
sale? What would it be worth?

Thanks for a great thread!
Jason Proksch

In lugnet.general, Michael Huffman writes:
Mark Koesel wrote:

I never previously doubted, nor do I now doubt that you actually
have the instructions in your possession.

Sorry.  No offence/hostility intended.

What I do doubt is that they are instructions from any actual
Lego set.  These are either created (somewhat poorly) by a fan,
as an internal TLG prototype, or by some "knock-off" company.

Note that, I also contend that whoever did create the instructions
almost certainly did so by trying to copy the picture of the model;
the instructions are too error-laiden to have been created by the
same fan that created the original model.

I like the idea that suggested these were created in a paint
program.  That would explain the lack of consistency throughout
the steps.

They are printed, with the same 'feel' as the 331/332/333
instructions.  They don't feel like they were printed out on a
color printer on glossy paper -- say at Kinko's or something --
they're very much have an 'old' feel to them.

I agree, looking at it now, there are several errors, missing
steps & very difficult reading what parts should be used (ie.
could it had be intended that it was a 2x2 plate instead of a
2x2 L plate? but because of the bad drawing, it looks to us
like a 2x2 L plate?)

Now as the to TLG prototype, is there any wat to give the Form
number at the bottom of the last page to TLG and have them
verify it?

Michael, where did you say you got the instructions again -- an
Ebay auction was it?  Why not encourage the seller to participate
in this discussion?

Sorry, it's probably been 4-6 months since I won the instructions,
not to mention I don't remember who I won them from without doing
some major searching...  That and it seemed like they didn't
collect LEGO; maybe found them at a garage sell & sold them to
me...  But I'll look.

--Mike.