 General / 18350
Re: A new scan for 371 (fake)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 21:26:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, Daniel Wayne Poole writes:

I would have to side on the belief that this is a fake for a couple of
reasons.  After looking at 60's and early 70's instructions on brickshelf I
would say that the poor quality of these instructions is a dead giveaway.
I would also like to point out that a long nose tractor with tandem axles in
rear and a sleeper that is over the top of the cab is a clear product of the
80's and 90's.  Trucks just did not look like this in the 60's and 70's.
Also note that these sets were only available in Europe, not the US where a
truck that looks like this would be most likely to be found.
On another note, the battery box could be held in the hand and it would hook
to the motor just in front of the windshield.  Look at the instructions for
335 (I think?) for an example of this old style motor.

While I can't say much about real trucks, it seems that all the
early (grey-tire) trucks had a stack of black and clear 1x2 plates
for a grille, with a red 2x3-4knob-with-hole rounded plate for string
attachment sticking out. At some point (after the first few black-tire
trucks) they lose the red plate and get a black 1x2 for a grille.
Those instructions show a clear 2x2 (which I've not seen on any truck)
while the front picture has either a very clear pin-less 1x2 or
just a gap.
While I don't know whether the pin-less 1x2 bricks came out after
the year range this truck might fall into (though I'd guess they
were later - about '74?), the instructions show 2 1x2s of this
kind on the bottom layer of the windshield with 2 1x1s and a 1x2
as the second layer in step 2, which is reversed in step 4.
The picture shows probably the setup of step 2, though the upper
layer may be a 1x4 or two 1x2s. Either way, the pin-less 1x2s
never were used in plain clear (only trans-colors and maybe the
1x2 "LEGO" steering brick?) until some point in the 80s.
The instructions also show those 1x2s in the side windows, which
are made from 2xXs in the picture. The pillars in between
are 1x1s in the instructions, but the picture seems to have
1x4s there. Of note in the very sloppy instructions is that
the lines are nevertheless extremely straight, even though
they're often bizarrely angled - cheap paint program?

-gbr