 General / 18469
18468  |  18470
Subject:
Junior Constructor #717 (was: A new scan for 371 (some proof?))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 14:11:26 GMT

Selçuk Göre wrote:

Gary Istok wrote:

Jason Proksch wrote:

<major snippage>

I am now leaning more toward the first 2 options. Perhaps the poor quality
reflects Samsonites inability to match lego's quality. Come to think of it, my
#717? Samsonite has some errors (or inconsistencies) in its instructions as
well.

Did someone say "Junior Constructor"?  Set 717.....

Muwahahh..:-) I knew that Gary would jump on this..:-) You make a lugnet
search for "junior 717" everyday, don't you?..:-)

Selçuk

Heck no, I just go home and get out the box, open it up, and smell the Cellulose
Acetate bricks.... a much nicer aroma than ABS ever had.  Actually I have the model
house built.  I have the 1963-64 version, which is of a flat roofed modern house (this
is the one shown in the LUGNET database for #717).  My "holy grail" is to one day find
the 1961-62 version, which is of a European "manor house" gable roofed style (finders
fee).  That earlier version, shown in the Joe Lauher/Bill Katz website (what ever
happened to Bill anyway???) in the top middle of the 1961-62 Samsonite Catalog:

http://www.chem.sunysb.edu/msl/LEGO/60s_d2.jpg

This has got to be one of the most beautiful box designs I have ever seen (my
prejudice showing thru), and the model, IMHO is the largest LEGO house model ever sold
by TLC.

This earlier version is also shown in Building Idea Book #1 (LEGO #238).  Anders
Isaksson of Sweden has some nice scans of this book, and here are the two pictures
that give a detailed picture of this house, the very first model set LEGO ever made
(although for some strange reason they were only produced for Samsonite (1961-62 in
USA, 1962 only in Canada), and never in Europe (except in the idea book).  Here are
Anders website pictures (notice that in the Samsonite version there is an extra window
in the roof (dormer) on the left side of the house):

http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/ideabook/12a.jpg
http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/ideabook/12b.jpg

The interesting thing about these Junior Constructor houses is that there are no
specialty pieces.  They are all regular bricks, and a lot of classic windows and doors
in white (the later flat roofed version has 2 white classic doors and 14 white classic
windows - three 1x6x2 shuttered windows, and eleven 1x2x2 windows).  Also they have
the old 10x20 thick gray baseplates.

Enough rambling,
Gary Istok