 Castle / 5300
Re: Blood Stone Castle parsed!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 18:36:48 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Erik Olson writes:
Caerlaverock. Some castle on a rock? Nay, I think not. I tried breaking it • down
several ways, and discovered that a laverok is a lark in middle english,
chiefly Scotch. But possibly, lavoir, Middle French for wash cistern, rooted • in
Latin lavare. I don't think Celtic carrus (wheeled vehicle) is relevant. Of
course an ock is a tough, hard, durable tree. I suppose a lark could be a bird
named in association with a castle that was tough like a tree that got washed
everyday. Or the castle could be named for the bird that washes oaks. Such a
pretty name. I could be full of lark kaka by now.

While I can't answer what the name means, I can tell you that Caerlaverock
Castle was the seat of the Maxwell clan.  It's walls never fell to siege (I
don't think) and it was considered one of the strongest castles in Scotland
due to it's unique three sided design.