 Castle / 5334
Re: Blood Stone Castle parsed!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 14:49:24 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jeff Johnston writes:
Jason Maxwell wrote:

While I can't answer what the name means, I can tell you that Caerlaverock
Castle was the seat of the Maxwell clan.  It's walls never fell to siege (I
don't think) and it was considered one of the strongest castles in Scotland
due to it's unique three sided design.

I think 'Caer' was a Gaelic word for castle.  I can't find any proof for that
beyond the great number of castles named Caer <something>, though.

I believe it can also mean "town", or "village", as well.  Perhaps it means
"settlement"?  I've been meaning to look it up one of these days.  :D

(In addition, two of my favorite series of children's books had 'Caer'
castles in them. The Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander had several
Caers, and C.S. Lewis' Narnia chronicles had Cair Paravel.)

The Prydain Chronicles are one of my favorites, too!  I need to purchase copies
of that series...  :)

Jeff