 Administrative / General / * (-100)
Re: LUGNET is moving servers once more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2022 19:40:38 GMT

In lugnet.announce, "Gereon \"Jerry\" Stein" <jerry@lugnet.com> wrote:
Dear LUGNET Users,

after quite some time we have decided to move LUGNET to a more modern
cloud-based server platform to improve bandwidth and reliability of the service.

While we are aware that technology has advanced and the LUGNET discussion
platform is not anywhere near as active as it used to be, we shall try to fix
the (still broken) email gateway in the process to facilitate postings if you
need them.

All other means of access should remain unchanged and if the migration works out
as planned, it will keep the site up and running for years to come.

Thanks and regards,

Jerry

Re: LUGNET is moving servers once more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2021 12:31:28 GMT

In lugnet.announce, "Gereon \"Jerry\" Stein" <jerry@lugnet.com> wrote:
Dear LUGNET Users,

after quite some time we have decided to move LUGNET to a more modern
cloud-based server platform to improve bandwidth and reliability of the service.

While we are aware that technology has advanced and the LUGNET discussion
platform is not anywhere near as active as it used to be, we shall try to fix
the (still broken) email gateway in the process to facilitate postings if you
need them.

All other means of access should remain unchanged and if the migration works out
as planned, it will keep the site up and running for years to come.

Thanks and regards,

Jerry

Dear Jerry
I am exploring the possibilities offered by the Lego Dacta/RoboLab kit I have
just bought on Ebay.
I used Lego Dacta in the first school I worked in back in the late 90s.
I am hoping that I can adapt it to enthuse the A Level & BTEC Computing &
Computer Sc students at college.
I am hoping to adapt it to use Python?
Then it will be an asset to teaching procedural programming?
Perhaps you could advise me on how to get started?
Regards
Sandy Walsh

Re: LUGNET is moving servers once more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2021 12:31:09 GMT

[...]

Re: How soon is NOW ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 2021 16:28:29 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Wijnsouw wrote:
Besides a great 'Smiths' song also a question which comes to my mind regarding:
'Become a Member. Join NOW!'.
Filled out the enrollment form on March 12.
Payed fee on the day I received confirmation e-mail (April 9).
Silence since then.

Send e-mail May 9 : but no answer.
Filed Paypal claim May 14 : no answer.

I don't know about the persons who run this site, but if this is the normal way
to treat people, then I don't want to be a member.

More than disappointing !!
Please return my money.

Eric.

I have yet to receive a confirmation email.

Re: LUGNET is moving servers once more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 27 Dec 2020 11:53:31 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "marco molina" <tobias566@hotmail.com> wrote:
HI JERRY  HAVE U EVER HEARD FROM PERRON SITE I STILL AM UNABLE TO SEE SCANS   I WROTE THEM ONCE TOO  BUT  E MAIL NO LONGER WORKED   let me know if theres any news  happy new year by the way

Hi Marco,

I guess we're out of luck there - I have not heard back from anybody either and
pinged some of the folks I know over in the U.S. without any luck.

So unless somebody with access to the site stumbles upon this and fixes it,
we'll have to stick around waiting. From here, I am afraid I have no other way
of doing anything.

Anybody reading this and affiliated with the ppl running peeron.com is welcome
to chime in and add suggestions.

Thanks,
Jerry

Re: LUGNET is moving servers once more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 26 Dec 2020 23:40:52 GMT

HI JERRY  HAVE U EVER HEARD FROM PERRON SITE I STILL AM UNABLE TO SEE SCANS   I WROTE THEM ONCE TOO  BUT  E MAIL NO LONGER WORKED   let me know if theres any news  happy new year by the way

Re: LUGNET is moving servers once more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 15 Nov 2020 08:49:55 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "marco molina" <tobias566@hotmail.com> wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, "marco molina" <tobias566@hotmail.com> wrote:
HI JERRY  HAVE YOU HEARD FROM PERRON  team  YET  THE SITE THAT UPLOADED SCANS  I   CHECKED AGAIN AND THE   scans of the lego instructions are still not shown  if u did heard from them let me know  thanks

Hi Marco,

I am sorry but I have not heard back yet. I have been told that getting a
response may take some time nowadays as the admins probably cannot dedicate as
much time to maintaining the site as they used to.

I will let you know once I find out what's happening.

Thanks and regards,
Jerry

Re: LUGNET is moving servers once more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 2020 17:35:37 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "marco molina" <tobias566@hotmail.com> wrote:
HI JERRY  HAVE YOU HEARD FROM PERRON  team  YET  THE SITE THAT UPLOADED SCANS  I   CHECKED AGAIN AND THE   scans of the lego instructions are still not shown  if u did heard from them let me know  thanks

Re: LUGNET is moving servers once more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 2020 17:35:26 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "marco molina" <tobias566@hotmail.com> wrote:
HI JERRY  HAVE YOU HEARD FROM PERRON  team  YET  THE SITE THAT UPLOADED SCANS  I   CHECKED AGAIN AND THE   scans of the lego instructions are still not shown  if u did heard from them let me know  thanks

Re: LUGNET is moving servers once more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 2020 17:33:15 GMT

HI JERRY  HAVE YOU HEARD FROM PERRON  team  YET  THE SITE THAT UPLOADED SCANS  I   CHECKED AGAIN AND THE   scans of the lego instructions are still not shows  if u did hedard from them let me know  thankd

Re: LUGNET is moving servers once more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 2020 17:32:33 GMT

HI JERRY  HAVE YOU HEARD FROM PERRON  team  YET  THE SITE THAT UPLOADED SCANS  I   CHECKED AGAIN AND THE   scans of the lego instructions are still not shows  if u did hedard from them let me know  thankd

Re: LUGNET is moving servers once more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 2020 13:49:26 GMT

hi jerry where u abler to contact perron admin  yet  jhope they fix their site soon   keep me update it

Re: LUGNET is moving servers once more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 2020 13:55:17 GMT

In lugnet.announce, "Gereon \"Jerry\" Stein" <jerry@lugnet.com> wrote:
Dear LUGNET Users,

after quite some time we have decided to move LUGNET to a more modern
cloud-based server platform to improve bandwidth and reliability of the service.

While we are aware that technology has advanced and the LUGNET discussion
platform is not anywhere near as active as it used to be, we shall try to fix
the (still broken) email gateway in the process to facilitate postings if you
need them.

All other means of access should remain unchanged and if the migration works out
as planned, it will keep the site up and running for years to come.

Thanks and regards,

Jerry

hi jerry  how are u i tried posting this morning in this sirte but it wouldnt
accept  .maby  since i alkready wrote few times . where u able to contact perron
yet about the manuals  hope  they fix it soon keep me updated

Re: LUGNET is moving servers once more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 2020 13:54:47 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 1 Nov 2020 16:07:40 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "Gereon \"Jerry\" Stein" <jerry@lugnet.com> wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, "marco molina" <tobias566@hotmail.com> wrote:
hi jerry i just  read u   mesage so  the problem was  just  the old   hardaware  server that  cause  problems    and thats why  that message  in  lugnet.com  thanks fore clearing that out

  But   i still dont  understand  why    i  cant     download      lego  instructions  at https://guide.lugnet.com/set/376_2   NO IMAGES     ARE SHOWN
all icons  are  no longer shown  when i click  on   Building instructions (at Peeron.com)   or   is  peeron.com  not  part of u site  greeding  i also  wrote
them an e mail at    scans@peeron.com  and e mail returned greeding

Hi Marco,

you are right, peeron.com is not part of LUGNET as such although of course the
sites have been connected for a long time now.

There appears to be a general problem with icons/thumbnail images display on
Peeron at the moment - I shall try to get in touch with folks and see how that
can be fixed. It is not hosted on any servers I would have admin access to, and
it is perfectly possible that they just have not noticed the problem yet.

I will post a followup here with whatever I find out.

Thanks,
Jerry

Hi jerry  then  please  let  me  know as soon as u can get a hold on the admin  or team of  peeron   maby the problem was there for a  weeks  and no one  ever seen it . i hope they can fix it  i  wrote as mentioned to   scans@peeron.com  but e mail kept returning  saying that  host doesnt exist . maby they have also other e mail or  maby they moved .
let me know when u  got in touch with them   or  post a follow up here

Re: LUGNET is moving servers once more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 1 Nov 2020 16:07:32 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 1 Nov 2020 14:43:15 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 1 Nov 2020 14:10:07 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "Gereon \"Jerry\" Stein" <jerry@lugnet.com> wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, "marco molina" <tobias566@hotmail.com> wrote:
hi jerry i read that   LUGNET.com has moved to the cloud!  u know the new adress  i like to  acess it
i loved this site
let me know thanks

Hi Marco,

I must have phrased it in a confusing way then - the announcement was meant to
say that the site was moved 1:1 - so the fact that we are reading and writing
here means that LUGNET _is_ actually now running on a cloud-based server.

There is no change in address, and for all that I can influence, there is not
going to be a change in address at any time as it will not be needed. We cannot
be hit by plain old hardware outages any longer.

Thanks,
Jerry
hi jerry i just  read u   mesage so  the problem was  just  the old   hardaware  server that  cause  problems    and thats why  that message  in  lugnet.com  thanks fore clearing that out

  But   i still dont  understand  why    i  cant     download      lego  instructions  at https://guide.lugnet.com/set/376_2   NO IMAGES     ARE SHOWN    all icons  are  no longer shown  when i click  on   Building instructions (at Peeron.com)   or   is  peeron.com  not  part of u site  greeding  i also  wrote them an e mail at    scans@peeron.com  and e mail returned greeding

Re: LUGNET is moving servers once more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 1 Nov 2020 14:09:58 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 2020 23:32:37 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "marco molina" <tobias566@hotmail.com> wrote:
hi jerry i read that   LUGNET.com has moved to the cloud!  u know the new adress  i like to  acess it
i loved this site
let me know thanks

Hi Marco,

I must have phrased it in a confusing way then - the announcement was meant to
say that the site was moved 1:1 - so the fact that we are reading and writing
here means that LUGNET _is_ actually now running on a cloud-based server.

There is no change in address, and for all that I can influence, there is not
going to be a change in address at any time as it will not be needed. We cannot
be hit by plain old hardware outages any longer.

Thanks,
Jerry

Re: LUGNET is moving servers once more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 2020 16:57:12 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 2020 16:57:02 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 2020 16:39:35 GMT

In lugnet.announce, "Gereon \"Jerry\" Stein" <jerry@lugnet.com> wrote:
Dear LUGNET Users,

after quite some time we have decided to move LUGNET to a more modern
cloud-based server platform to improve bandwidth and reliability of the service.

While we are aware that technology has advanced and the LUGNET discussion
platform is not anywhere near as active as it used to be, we shall try to fix
the (still broken) email gateway in the process to facilitate postings if you
need them.

All other means of access should remain unchanged and if the migration works out
as planned, it will keep the site up and running for years to come.

Thanks and regards,

Jerry

hi jerry i read that   lugnet was movwed   to  LUGNET.com has moved to the cloud!  u know the new adress  i like to  acess it

let me know thanks

Re: LUGNET is moving servers once more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 2020 16:39:25 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 5 May 2020 00:54:02 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "Gereon \"Jerry\" Stein" <jerry@lugnet.com> wrote:
Hi everybody,

the server move as such has been very successful this time as opposed to
previous moves.

Not only did the move just take a mere 2 hours, primarily due to the low
bandwidth available to transfer all the files and fix a few settings.

More importantly, I was finally able to identify a few code glitches that kept
flooding the server error log, keeping me from focusing on the really
complicated items that invariably do exist in sometimes over 20 year old
scripts.

Thanks for your continued work and for keeping the lights on!

Re: LUGNET is moving servers once more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 4 May 2020 05:44:10 GMT

Hi everybody,

the server move as such has been very successful this time as opposed to
previous moves.

Not only did the move just take a mere 2 hours, primarily due to the low
bandwidth available to transfer all the files and fix a few settings.

More importantly, I was finally able to identify a few code glitches that kept
flooding the server error log, keeping me from focusing on the really
complicated items that invariably do exist in sometimes over 20 year old
scripts.

Anyway, LUGNET is up and running, apparently a lot more smoothly than it has
been for a while, and even the ancient C News service (which is required to
enable news posting) is still working.

I am sorry, though, that the email gateway that was used to conveniently post
messages until quite some time ago remains broken. It almost seems like some
internals of the mail transfer agent have changed that prevent the old scripts
from handling incoming mail correctly - I am therefore not promising to fix it -
it may come as a suprise if I finally get the knot untied.

Personally, I'm glad the site still works and there are still enthusiasts out
there who appreciate it. In times like these, that is a good thing and makes
every effort worthwhile.

Thanks and have fun,

Jerry

Subject:
want to work, live or study abroad get your IELTS (ieltsexams5@gmail.com) NEBOSH, TOEFL, GMAT, PTE,
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2017 23:32:57 GMT
(canceled)

Re: Software upgrade on LUGNET server
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 4 Sep 2016 23:13:48 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Thank you , Jerry.
Your work is hugely appreciated!

-Suz

Re: Intermittent Outage Notification: Lugnet Server Move
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2015 21:09:11 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "Suz" <suz@baseplate.com> wrote:
Thank you for all your hard work, Jerry!

-Suz

Seconded!!

--Todd

Re: Change in News Display Behavior
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2015 21:06:04 GMT

Hi Jerry,

Reporting something here that I think might be a recent bug:

Even when I'm signed in, I'm not seeing the Author field in the headers on any
new posts. On old posts, however, the Author field does show up.

In looking at the raw message ("View Raw Message"), there is an NNTP header
called "X-Real-Life-Name:" that is missing on newer messages.  For example, here
is an older message which does have it:

   http://news.lugnet.com/news/raw.cgi?lugnet.admin.general,14097

and here is a new message which does not have it:

   http://news.lugnet.com/news/raw.cgi?lugnet.events,2673

Likely, this is an issue in the mid-level NNTP injection code, where the web
interface is required to add "X-Real-Life-Name:" to the NNTP message whenever a
signed-in user makes a post, so that later when the post is viewed, the web
interface can examine this header to know the name of the author.

A related issue appears to be that the web interface is not falling back to the
"From:" header when the "X-Real-Life-Name:" header is missing.  When the
"Author:" segment is displayed in the .pml code for viewing a message, it looks
first for the "X-Real-Life-Name:" header and next for the "From:" header, but it
looks like this has inadvertently been broken somehow.  I can help you dig
through the code to fix this if you like.

--Todd

Re: Change in News Display Behavior
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 2015 01:40:59 GMT

On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 16:04:45 GMT, "Gereon \"Jerry\" Stein"
<jerry@lugnet.com> wrote:

All,

due to privacy concerns raised by a few individuals, the news display has been
modified slightly.
So how do we create an account?

Re: Intermittent Outage Notification: Lugnet Server Move
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 2015 21:57:41 GMT

Jerry <jerry@lugnet.com> writes:

if you are reading this, you will have made it to the new Lugnet
server.

Thanks.

Play well,

Jacob
--
Experimental parallel cable-stayed bridge:
http://lego.sparre-andersen.dk/Transport/Broer/Skr%E5stagsbro-parallel/

Re: Intermittent Outage Notification: Lugnet Server Move
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 2015 09:08:07 GMT

All,

please be advised that posting to LUGNET via Email is currently DISABLED due to
an issue with the mail-authentication mechanism.

Please use the web frontend to post messages.

Thank you.

Thanks,
Jerry

Re: Intermittent Outage Notification: Lugnet Server Move
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 2015 00:07:21 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "Suz" <suz@baseplate.com> wrote:
Thank you for all your hard work, Jerry!

-Suz

Thank you, Suz

I realize this move will be interesting again to say the least. I finally got
that Perl issue worked around that made us cancel the previous move, but the
mail2news mechanics are sort of broken at the moment (not that it matters too
much as the old machine had them somewhere between clogged and broken for months
now).

I'm reverse-engineering that bit to figure out what breaks. Technically,
news2mail does work, but the authentication does not trigger and we certainly
don't want Spam here.

Some ricochet emails already ended up as Forum spam, so I figure I'll keep email
turned off for a bit. People don't seem to be posting too much via NNTP at this
time.

It's quite probably just tiny bit I'm missing - needle in a haystack thing...
any volunteers who still remember how that thing was set up back in '99?

Thanks,
Jerry

Re: Intermittent Outage Notification: Lugnet Server Move
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 2015 23:48:09 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "Gereon \"Jerry\" Stein" <jerry@lugnet.com> wrote:
All,

if you are reading this, you will have made it to the new Lugnet server.

I agree with Suz. Thanks, Jerry!

Re: Intermittent Outage Notification: Lugnet Server Move
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 2015 21:40:04 GMT

Thank you for all your hard work, Jerry!

-Suz

Re: Intermittent Outage Notification: Lugnet Server Move
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 2015 17:33:28 GMT

All,

if you are reading this, you will have made it to the new Lugnet server.

We are not quite there yet, but things are working reasonably well, therefore I
am keeping this machine online and will be fixing stuff as we move along.

Posting via the web interface seems to be working - the small disappointment
(for me) is that despite the new hardware and most binaries recompiled, there is
still some noticeable delay in posting new messages from the web. I hope I can
figure that out eventually.

Posting via NNTP may be possible but I have not tried yet - I can read
subscribed groups via NNTP all right, though.

Posting via Email remains turned off for a while as I need to re-establish the
couple hundred addresses needed for this service - please bear with me.

Pretty successful day 1 of the migration I should say, hope it stays that way as
I need to turn off the insecure old box soon.

Thanks for your patience,
Jerry

Re: Getting an error when viewing posts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2015 08:58:05 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:

Well, either it's been fixed, or it was an issue with the computer
from which I was trying to access LUGNET this afternoon.

I got the same error when I tried (shortly after reading your message),
so it wasn't only you.

Play well,

Jacob
--
Rowing boat (building instructions):
    http://lego.sparre-andersen.dk/Transport/Skibe/Rob%E5d/

Re: Getting an error when viewing posts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 2015 22:24:35 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Dave Schuler wrote:
Clicking on an individual post, rather than on the board-level overview, gives
the following error message:

===
An internal server error occurred:

DBI connect('host=localhost;database=usr_web4_1','web4',...) failed: Access
denied for user 'web4'@'localhost' (using password: YES) at (eval 5) line 47
===

That particular message came up when trying to view
http://news.lugnet.com/animation/?n=965
but a similar error occurred when clicking on any individual post, whether I was
logged in or not.

Any guesses?  Thanks!

Well, either it's been fixed, or it was an issue with the computer from which I
was trying to access LUGNET this afternoon.

Subject:
Getting an error when viewing posts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 2015 16:55:23 GMT

Clicking on an individual post, rather than on the board-level overview, gives
the following error message:

===
An internal server error occurred:

DBI connect('host=localhost;database=usr_web4_1','web4',...) failed: Access
denied for user 'web4'@'localhost' (using password: YES) at (eval 5) line 47
===

That particular message came up when trying to view
http://news.lugnet.com/animation/?n=965
but a similar error occurred when clicking on any individual post, whether I was
logged in or not.

Any guesses?  Thanks!

Re: Change in News Display Behavior
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2014 18:16:35 GMT

Update:

The list Todd spotted has now also been cleared of the poster name display if
visitor is not signed in.

I have now disabled the link to the raw message for non-signed-in users as well.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Jerry

Re: Change in News Display Behavior
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2014 17:53:03 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Todd Lehman wrote:
Point of clarification:  This is only for the web view, yes?  And specifically,
only the field called "Author"?

Hi Todd,

yes correct, I only took out the Author field from the message display and the
"name" field from the list view - however you seem to have spotted at least one
more place that I have not covered, so I'll probably spend some more time on
this.

I have _not_ cared about the raw view as - like you are rightfully stating -
basically any NNTP crawler could capture and archive the same if they wanted to.
If so desired, we can block access to the raw message display altogether (or,
again, for non-signed-in users only, which is probably the thing to do).

The NNTP service does not have authentication (and is not going to get it), so
if there are serious concerns about data being accessible by that way, we would
need to consider to finally close down the NNTP service. It is only rarely used
these days anyway as hardly anyone seems to remember there is such a thing as
"newsgroups" :)

By the way...  At the moment, the Author field still seems to be showing
implicitly in the Compact list view, e.g.:
http://news.lugnet.com/?q=stein&v=c

Thanks for spotting - there may probably be some more instances that I've missed
- even after all these years I don't have quite as much of an overview of the
system as you would.

Thanks,
Jerry

Re: Change in News Display Behavior
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2014 16:42:34 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Gereon Stein wrote:
due to privacy concerns raised by a few individuals, the news display has been
modified slightly.

Going forward, only registered and signed-in members will be able to see the
"Author" field of news posts.

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the update.

Point of clarification:  This is only for the web view, yes?  And specifically,
only the field called "Author"?

I see that the "From" and "X-Real-Life-Name" headers of the raw NNTP message,
e.g.
http://news.lugnet.com/news/raw.cgi?lugnet.admin.general,14097
are still visible to non-signed-in members.

Rather than filtering out those headers to non-signed-in users, it might be best
instead simply to return an empty page from raw.cgi in such cases and to remove
the "View Raw Message" link that links to raw.cgi.  Obviously this doesn't stop
crawlers from crawling the NNTP server, but it's not often that one sees indexed
NNTP content anyway.

By the way...  At the moment, the Author field still seems to be showing
implicitly in the Compact list view, e.g.:
http://news.lugnet.com/?q=stein&v=c

--Todd

Subject:
Change in News Display Behavior
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2014 16:04:45 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

All,

due to privacy concerns raised by a few individuals, the news display has been
modified slightly.

Going forward, only registered and signed-in members will be able to see the
"Author" field of news posts. For visitors and search engines, this field will
not be provided anymore.

Thank you for your understanding :)

Thanks,
Jerry

Subject:
Please add LUGNET Color Reference to Guide homepage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 24 Dec 2013 11:12:49 GMT

Hey, I just noticed that LUGNET’s Color Reference:

http://guide.lugnet.com/color/

is missing from the links on the Guide entry page:

http://guide.lugnet.com/

Here’s the original announcement for the color reference:

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=38769

Obviously it’s out of date at this point, but I still find it useful from time to time. (For example, I needed to look up some differences tonight about variations of Pink for listing some parts on BrickLink.)

Thanks,
--Todd

p.s. Probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to remove the link to the BrickWise resource at the same time. It’s horribly out of date and provides no value anymore.

Subject:
Free Lugnet Now! (was: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2012 14:06:13 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:

P.s.: I still use the Lugnet set list to control my purchases etc. But I realize
that Brickset is often much more up to date.
I have no idea who is responsible to create new set entries. But it would be
nice if this would be given free to (us regular) users.

That's not a terrible idea.  Open up the database area to input from all
members.

Although I have some concerns that the existing input methods may not be
terribly user-friendly.

Steve

Subject:
Please add game/set 3853
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2012 21:55:31 GMT

Please add game 'Banana Balance' #3853, to the Lugnet set reference.

Front of box says 2-4 players, ages 6+, 5-15 (minutes I presume)

Back of box says: 1 buildable LEGO Dice, 48 LEGO pieces, Rules booklet.

No obvious price, but I'm guessing somewhere between $10 and $13. The set
includes no minifigures, no microfigures, and 1 monkey (presumably included in
the 48 piece count).

Re: LUGNET Outage 17/18 Feb 2012
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 18 Feb 2012 13:05:02 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Jerry,

Thank you so much for all the work you do behind the scenes to keep lugnet
alive.

Chris

In lugnet.announce, Gereon Stein wrote:
Dear LUGNET Users,

as you will have noticed, LUGNET experienced an outage on 17 and 18 Feb 2012.

This was due to the main server having gone down under heavy load during a
backup cycle.

Since this issue has been haunting us for a while, I have attempted to move
things over to a brand-new machine with significantly better stats.

Unfortunately the architectural differences have shown two significant
tripwires, one being the 64bit architecture coming with most current Linux
platforms, and the other being the fairly old but still well-used NNTP system of
LUGNET.

In an attempt to stabilize things I have moved back to the old server and will
examine the alternatives of either setting up a new 32bit system or trying to
update the relevant parts of the software to work in a 64bit environment.

Consequently, the service may get moved to a new platform intermittently - if it
does, you will see short periods where posting is disabled or other services
refuse to respond as expected. Please bear with us, it's not exactly an easy
project but it has to be done now before the situation gets worse.

Thank you for your support and understanding,

Best regards,
Jerry

Re: Forum shift
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 2011 09:25:22 GMT

Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

How many security holes have been found in CNEWS (or INN for that
matter) over the last 10 years?  I don't believe it is a likely point
of entry for hackers.

I took a look at the archives of the debian-security-announce
mailing-list from 2001 up to today.  I couldn't find a single security
report on CNEWS (and only one 2001 local vulnerability in INN).

Play well,

Jacob
--
Brakzand II:
http://lego.sparre-andersen.dk/Transport/Skibe/Brakzand_II/

Re: Weird issue signing in?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2011 05:53:43 GMT

Hi all,

my apologies, I am indeed monitoring the forum, but have had quite a bit of
workload recently and thus only noticed these posts when working through my
backlog (luckily I have subscribed to a few newsgroups by email and do get
notifications eventually...)

In lugnet.admin.general, Janey C. L. Gunning wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Ross Crawford wrote:
I seem to be having weird issues signing in to Lugnet.

When I go to the sign-in page, it displays the ID/password fields, but also has
"Ross, you are already signed in. Did you want to sign out?" at the top, when
I'm definitely signed out.

To me this would imply that the cookie deletion upon sign-off was not complete
for whatever reason. I would need to debug the code to some point to see if this
is actually even possible. My standard approach in case of "weird" sign-in
issues is to completely clear the browser cache and delete all cookies (if you
do so manually, for the cookies deleting everything bearing "lugnet" in the
server name will probably do).

In IE9 I can then sign-in OK, but in FF4 I get a page saying "There is some good
news and some bad news.

And that is particularly weird as FF4 is my primary browser and I found it to be
a lot more reliable than FF3 ever was for me.

But I also frequently test with IE (well, less frequently due to my rather
limited affection to operating systems from Redmond) and Safari - neither
producing any issues lately. I am happy to try and debug with you, though.

The bad news:

    Your browser seems to have rejected the cookie. LUGNET cannot authenticate
you without this cookie.

I'm speculating (which I don't like doing), but it is possible that your browser
still has a cookie in the cache that it is unable to overwrite. Did you change
anything in your system/browser/user setup recently?

I have confirmed my clock is correct, and cookie settings seem fine (the cookie
is actually getting created) but Lugnet treats me as logged out.

Strange - I agree. Please let me know (preferrably by email) when you would be
online for testing and we can try to arrange a session. I would like to get to
the cause of this before it gets worse.

If you have seen this happening at a particular time, it would help if you send
me the exact time (including time zone) and the IP address you have been
assigned at that time. I can then check the logs if something strikes me there.

Yes, you are the third person in the last two weeks that have mentioned it to
me.  Both of the others are also long time Lugnet posters and shouldnt, but are,
having difficulties posting.

They are invited to get in touch as well - we haven't changed anything about
Lugnet recently, so I would like to find out what could be wrong here.

I personally think you should send this letter directly to Gereon Stein, because
I dont think anyone is monitoring this forum on much of a regular basis.

Working on it. Most of recent monitoring consisted of once again replacing the
server's power supply unit, and preparing a brand-new machine to upgrade our
infrastructure in the near future (mostly in order to avoid subsequent hardware
failure, of course).

Regards,
Jerry

Re: Weird issue signing in?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 21 May 2011 17:53:40 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Ross Crawford wrote:
I seem to be having weird issues signing in to Lugnet.

When I go to the sign-in page, it displays the ID/password fields, but also has
"Ross, you are already signed in. Did you want to sign out?" at the top, when
I'm definitely signed out.

In IE9 I can then sign-in OK, but in FF4 I get a page saying "There is some good
news and some bad news.

The good news:

    Your password was accepted.
    A cookie containing your member number and password (scrambled) was sent to
your browser.

The bad news:

    Your browser seems to have rejected the cookie. LUGNET cannot authenticate
you without this cookie.

The net result:

    You still are not signed in. Please check your browser's configuration
settings and try again. Perhaps you have disabled browser cookies, or perhaps
your computer's internal clock is not set correctly."

I have confirmed my clock is correct, and cookie settings seem fine (the cookie
is actually getting created) but Lugnet treats me as logged out.

Anyone else experiencing this?

ROSCO

Yes, you are the third person in the last two weeks that have mentioned it to
me.  Both of the others are also long time Lugnet posters and shouldnt, but are,
having difficulties posting.

I personally think you should send this letter directly to Gereon Stein, because
I dont think anyone is monitoring this forum on much of a regular basis.

Cheers,
Janey "Red Brick"
http://brickfete.com/

Subject:
Weird issue signing in?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 21 May 2011 09:06:41 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 2010 15:48:40 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
In lugnet.general, David Eaton wrote:
However, once that connection has been established, it ought to be possible
to use your member ID/password to log in, so long as the email address
provided in the NNTP posting matches the one on file that's attached to
your member ID.

Why should that be necessary?  Shouldn't it be enough to hook the password
checker of the NNTP server up to the database containing IDs and passwords
(if necessary both the posting and the member database).

Apologies, I wasn't talking about totally overhauling the NNTP system, I was
talking about using what's available-- IE, the member passwords, which are the
only passwords currently on the LUGNET interface to my knowledge.

If you're talking about creating a new set of passwords associated with the NNTP
setups, that's a different story.  The NNTP setups are how the SMTP and web
interfaces do their authentication currently.  The web interface just has an
extra caveat-- it ties the Member ID to the posting ID. So if you validate your
member ID, it can automatically validate your posting ID. However, the posting
ID is still what's used on all 3 interfaces, and that may need to be totally
rewritten if you're talking about a more dynamic system for accepting posting
setups and associating them with passwords.

I'd be willing to take a look and see if there's a quasi-quick fix solution that
we can come up with, but my enthusiasm quickly wanes if we're talking about
replacing the entire setup system.

DaveE

Re: Forum shift
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 2010 11:31:22 GMT

Gereon Stein wrote:
Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

Actually, the NNTP server in use is a fairly old but very to-the-standard
implementation (CNEWS) - it may not be perfect by all means, but it has shown
some reliability over time.

Good to know.  (Personally I only have experience with running INN.)

What concerns me more (in terms of being the one who is keeping the underlying
services and servers afloat) is the potential security issue with any kind of
NNTP implementation (which I think can be mitigated) and the relatively slow
response time of the entire setup, in part but not completely due to the
multiple means of access / posting provided.

How many security holes have been found in CNEWS (or INN for that matter) over
the last 10 years?  I don't believe it is a likely point of entry for hackers.

I have been monitoring the use of the NNTP interface for the last 12 months
(longer actually, but the logs had to be reset at some point due to a filesystem
issue). It appears that use of the NNTP service is declining but not showing
sings of eventually phasing out completely. This is what makes a decision
somewhat difficult.

Should make it easy.  People are still interested in NNTP access.  If you made
the NNTP access user friendly, you might actually see an increase in NNTP use,
and thus a reduced load on the server.

To be honest, I am having a bit of difficulty with the login method of NNTP -
with the current setup,

It is also a horrible construction.

With a username/password setup, I figure posting
without such authorization may become more complex or impossible to begin with.

With a username/password setup for NNTP, you are authorised when you connect to
the server.  There is no need to spend time sending out a separate authorisation
e-mail for each post, since the user already is authorised.  It will make
posting much simpler, and probably reduce the volume of code needed for handling
NNTP posting.  The only code besides CNEWS will be the one that gives CNEWS
access to check usernames and passwords.

It appears that posting through the web and email interfaces are by far more
popular, and especially email posting is a feature that is - well, probably not
unique, but quite an outstanding feature of LUGNET.

I would say that the quality of the web interface is what is unique.  E-mail
based posting is (almost) trivial to set up for a NNTP server.  Considering that
those who post through the web interface don't have to (auto)reply to an
authorisation e-mail, it is obvious that the web interface will be more popular
than SMTP or NNTP.

I can't see any need to connect member IDs with emails.  We just need to make
sure that anybody with posting privileges has (or can get) a username and a
password for posting through the NNTP server.

That touches another point of mine - the question if and for how long we
actually want to support NNTP access. The number of internet users never even
having heard of such a thing as "Usenet" is increasing by orders of magnitude,
and while those have other limitations, the general move is for "point&click"
web-based forums. There are some forum platforms out there that offer some kind
of post-by-email and NNTP interfaces, but this would take some evaluation, too.

I hope you are not seriously considering to drop NNTP access to Lugnet.  Without
NNTP access, Lugnet will be almost as bad as any other LEGO discussion forum.

Play well,

Jacob

Re: Forum shift
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 2010 09:34:38 GMT

Hi all,

I have taken a bit of time to follow the discussion as this is about a subject
that René and I have been talking over on some occasions but without any final
decisions yet.

In lugnet.admin.general, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
In lugnet.general, David Eaton wrote:

As I recall, the NNTP engine for LUGNET wasn't something that Todd custom-wrote
(like the web interface), but was a build of some already-existing
implementation, which could be why it's a little less accessible.  I remember
hunting around for the NNTP code to little avail.

I would expect that any old NNTP server can be plugged in instead, if the one
Todd originally selected doesn't support access by username and password.

[...]

with the current setup, anyone connecting through NNTP can post but will have to
authorize his posts later on. With a username/password setup, I figure posting
without such authorization may become more complex or impossible to begin with.

It appears that posting through the web and email interfaces are by far more
popular, and especially email posting is a feature that is - well, probably not
unique, but quite an outstanding feature of LUGNET.

It's messy and kludgy (because LUGNET doesn't really maintain a proper
correlation between valid emails and members), but in theory it's possible.

I can't see any need to connect member IDs with emails.  We just need to make
sure that anybody with posting privileges has (or can get) a username and a
password for posting through the NNTP server.

That touches another point of mine - the question if and for how long we
actually want to support NNTP access. The number of internet users never even
having heard of such a thing as "Usenet" is increasing by orders of magnitude,
and while those have other limitations, the general move is for "point&click"
web-based forums. There are some forum platforms out there that offer some kind
of post-by-email and NNTP interfaces, but this would take some evaluation, too.

I wouldn't mind taking a look, although I think I'd probably need my SSH key
re-enabled since I think it's been disabled for a while.  And of course if
Rene/Jerry want to take a look at it themselves, I'm all for that!

It sounds like you know much more about the architecture than I do, so that
would be good.

I very much appreciate that offer - please do get in touch, I have not deleted
any of the old SSH keys but needed to limit the IP address level access due to
an increasing number of hacking attempts (You would not believe from what
countries people try to break into servers).

On another note, I am only just preparing a brand-new machine to take over
LUGNET as the current software setup is fairly old and a non-disruptive update
seems unlikely. When testing is done, the switch will be fairly zero-downtime
instead and the performance should improve significantly (or so I hope at
least). Still, that does not mean I would want to leave everything else
untouched. It's just a matter of what current and potential future users really
want.

Also, we certainly must not risk losing any of the old posts and related
information should we come to the conclusion that moving away from NNTP is a
good idea after all these years. In that regard, however, the current code base
would perfectly guarantee a continued web access even if we pull the plug on the
news service.

Finally, I should also mention that for the post-by-email interface, we
currently have a spam level of well over 99% every day. For statistics, only in
the last 12 hours we recorded 48,000 rejected spam connections, 1800 more
blocked due to blacklistings, and 1200 spam assassin positives out of a total of
2200 accepted email messages. Compare that to the posts finally receiving
authorization (as per "Traffic" page, and the automatically generated statistics
posts do not even count) and you will know what I am talking about.

I do hope we will find a way to improve the experience of LUGNET.

Have fun,

Jerry

Re: Forum shift
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 2010 08:34:01 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2010 18:31:28 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky wrote:
People have been asking for change for years with no visible effort being put
into this. I'm tired of waiting. Maybe you can try?

That's a fair request.  I'll get in touch with our friendly system
administrators.

As I recall, the NNTP engine for LUGNET wasn't something that Todd custom-wrote
(like the web interface), but was a build of some already-existing
implementation, which could be why it's a little less accessible.  I remember
hunting around for the NNTP code to little avail.

I expect that in order to make this work, it's possible that you would have to
post ONCE from the web interface, while logged in as a valid member ID, in order
to establish the connection between your member ID and your posting ID (I don't
recall where that's stored or how it's kept).

However, once that connection has been established, it ought to be possible to
use your member ID/password to log in, so long as the email address provided in
the NNTP posting matches the one on file that's attached to your member ID.
It's messy and kludgy (because LUGNET doesn't really maintain a proper
correlation between valid emails and members), but in theory it's possible.

I wouldn't mind taking a look, although I think I'd probably need my SSH key
re-enabled since I think it's been disabled for a while.  And of course if
Rene/Jerry want to take a look at it themselves, I'm all for that!

DaveE

(FUT .admin.general)

Subject:
Question Regarding Accounts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 1 May 2010 18:59:10 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hey.

I've had this account for the last seven years (admittedly I was a tad too
inexperienced for a place such as this) and to be honest I would like to either
have it deleted, rendered inactive, or have the mailing address changed.

This account's email is actually not my own; in reality, it's the email address
of my legal guardian that was used when I applied for my registration to LUGNET.
He still gets new reply notifications from LUGNET (why are people posting on
threads five years old?) and isn't too happy with it, understandably. I wouldn't
want to get emails from somewhere that I've passed by years and years ago.

I have already scoured the FAQs and different parts of Admin with no avail. Can
anyone help me with this issue?

Thanks,
Dean

Subject:
LUCNY
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:23:28 GMT

Can we get LUCNY added back to the LTC map again, please?
Thanks,
Ed McGlynn
LEGO Users of Central New York

Subject:
(Re)activating Lugnet? (Was: The future of LDraw?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 2010 18:23:08 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Like many of us, you've been here forever.  So perhaps you don't realize
that it's currently impossible for new folks to sign up here and get access
to the quick n easy reply method that the old timers enjoy.  That, more than
anything else, is why this place currently a ghost town.

I must admit that I didn't know that it isn't possible to get a membership on
Lugnet anymore.  That's not good.

Have fun, and if you forget your lugnet password, don't ever get a new
computer...

Luckily I keep plenty of backups - also of mission-critical cookies.

Or perhaps LUGNET just needs some changes... identify the problem areas and fix
them.

Yes.  What will it take to allow people to get membership-like accounts on
Lugnet again?

Plenty of us are decent programmers and/or system administrators. It can't be an
impossible task.

Play well,

Jacob
--
http:/billeder.sparre-andersen.dk/dagens/2010-03-18

Re: Password Change
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2010 10:21:38 GMT

Just as a quick note: There is now a link to the Password Change page on the
right hand side of the member profile page (visible when you are signed in and
go to the "my" Link).

Hope that helps ;)

Regards,
Jerry

Re: Password Change
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2010 09:35:50 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Michael Tighe wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Robert Gurskey wrote:
Now that I have finally been approved to post messages, how do I go about
getting my password reset? • (...)
This question still needs to be answered.  I recently was able to get my
password reset and log back on to update my set list.

However, how does one go about changing one's own password!?!

Hi Michael,

actually, all you need to do is go to the (not immediately obvious)

http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/pw/

page. You will see the link on the page where you sign in - but not easily
thereafter. I am taking that as a hint to probably add another button on the
profile editing page - it certainly makes sense that way.

Please note that the password changing process on LUGNET is slightly different
from other platforms. As a matter of fact, you can set several passwords for
your account, decide to retire (delete) old ones, or - which is most commonly
used on other websites - change one you are currently using.

The danger lies within changing the _only_ password you have. It may be wise to
keep the password that was originally issued to you in a safe place (we don't
keep records of such passwords but have to generate new ones in case you
forget). You can then set yourself another password that you can probably
memorize more easily (it shouldn't be insecure, though ;) )

The Password Change page is pretty self-explanatory. As I said, I'll ad a link
that has more visibility, but the password change mechanism itself is not going
to be modified just yet. So it's up to you to decide if you want to go with more
than one password or rather not. (Personally, I currently have three active
passwords, one of which is still the good old sign-up password I got years
ago...)

Regards,
Jerry

Re: Password Change
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2010 03:41:19 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Robert Gurskey wrote:
Now that I have finally been approved to post messages, how do I go about
getting my password reset?

Unfortunately, I deleted all cookies on my computer some time ago and didn't
realized my password was stored in one. Now I cannot remember my password and
Lugnet does not have an easy way to get one's password reset.

Any help would be appreciated.

Robert

This question still needs to be answered.  I recently was able to get my
password reset and log back on to update my set list.

However, how does one go about changing one's own password!?!

The note I got from Rene when he emailed me my new password said I could change
it.  How?

Mike Tighe

"There is no such thing as too much LEGO."

Re: email settings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 2010 02:54:26 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Gereon Stein wrote:
   Hi David,

interesting effect we are seeing here; it turns out that LUGNET stores your posting email address outside of your normal user profile.

Remember that you need to authorize any email address you wish to use for posting separately?

It looks like you are posting through the web interface. If you go to http://news.lugnet.com/news/post/setup/ while signed in, you will still see your earthlink.net address listed there. Please update that field to your current address as well - in the future, you should be seeing the new email address appear in your posts.

Regards, Jerry

That worked. Thanks!

David

Re: Posting-times?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2010 23:17:25 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Gereon Stein wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Dave Schuler wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Gereon Stein wrote:
well, basically this was one of the first things I noticed with the switchover
to the new servers. We have since tried in several ways to identify exactly what
is causing this delay. Interestingly, new posts appear on the news server almost
instantly, however the time until a couple of other internal functions (after
the actual news post) take to complete varies greatly. (...)
I hate to be a nuisance, but was this ever resolved?  Posting still seems to
take an inordinately long time.

Hi Dave,

no, you are no nuisance at all - I am still not happy about this effect and can
only confirm again that with pressing the "post" button in the web interface,
the corresponding message is posted almost instantly to the news system but
something else appears to be running in the background and keeps the posting
screen to wait for completion. For me in particular, identifying the cause of
this does mean quite a bit of reverse-engineering, which is why I was not able
to spare enough time for any successful attempt yet (which does not mean I
didn't try several times).

I still think this should be solvable, even though I find that when doing test
posts, the posting times vary greatly which does not exactly help much in
nailing down the issue.

Thanks for replying, Jerry.  As you can see by the three-year gap between posts,
this isn't exactly a high-priority problem for me--more of a curiosity.

But I appreciate you taking the time to respond, and I don't doubt that you've
worked to correct the glitch!

Thanks again.

Dave!

Re: Posting-times?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 2010 23:34:55 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 2010 23:26:09 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, David Gregory wrote:
   Sooooo...did anyone ever find anything out about this? The LUGNET newsgroups still have my old email address, even though my personal data contains the current, correct one.

David

Hi David,

interesting effect we are seeing here; it turns out that LUGNET stores your posting email address outside of your normal user profile.

Remember that you need to authorize any email address you wish to use for posting separately?

It looks like you are posting through the web interface. If you go to http://news.lugnet.com/news/post/setup/ while signed in, you will still see your earthlink.net address listed there. Please update that field to your current address as well - in the future, you should be seeing the new email address appear in your posts.

This will, however, not necessarily affect previous posts of yours, the problem being that the news system - like an email client - stores header information in the individual post file, and this information is pulled again for display on the web pages. For posting through NNTP or mail, this is the desired behavior. For posting through the web, the corresponding headers are mimicked based on the info you stored in the news setup page, otherwise the posts would not be handled correctly in the NNTP system.

Regards,

Jerry

Re: email settings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 2010 21:39:13 GMT

Sooooo...did anyone ever find anything out about this? The LUGNET newsgroups still have my old email address, even though my personal data contains the current, correct one.

David

Re: Posting-times?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 16 Jan 2010 06:08:06 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Gereon Stein wrote:
well, basically this was one of the first things I noticed with the switchover
to the new servers. We have since tried in several ways to identify exactly what
is causing this delay. Interestingly, new posts appear on the news server almost
instantly, however the time until a couple of other internal functions (after
the actual news post) take to complete varies greatly.

Please rest assured that we are already working on this and should be able to
get posting time back to "normal" (ideally back to _really fast_) soon.

I hate to be a nuisance, but was this ever resolved?  Posting still seems to
take an inordinately long time.

Just checking.

Dave!

Re: What am I missing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.faq
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2009 15:16:31 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Gereon Stein wrote:
   Hi all,

luckily I am using Macs myself - unfortunately I didn’t notice this issue since I personally prefer Firefox over Safari on Mac OS X.

Anyway, I tried everything myself and narrowed the issue down to the primary cookie being created - the cookie name being used in LUGNET apparently is not very much to Safari’s liking, however since cookie naming is embedded deeply in the code, this is not changed easily.

I will try to change the name of the login cookie to a name that will be accepted by Safari. I will update you when things are fixed. In the meantime, your best bet would be Firefox which I have found is a very useful piece of software on all operating systems.

Regards,

Jerry

I too ran into this same problem. I was unable to login to lugnet using Safari 3, but can login successfully using Firefox 3.

I was able to login in the past with Safari 2 with no problems.

Might this be a bug in webkit ?

Ray

Re: LUGNET outage on July 4th/5th, 2009
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 2009 12:36:15 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Gereon Stein wrote:

I personally apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced.
Thank you for your understanding.

I personally thank you for both maintaining the servers and LUGNET, and keeping
us informed about it. Thank you!

--
Brian Davis

Re: Question regarding real names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 2009 15:36:16 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Ross Crawford wrote:
   Life is full of trade-offs.

True that, I was just curious.

But now based on this post: http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=27738, it looks like SPAM has invaded Lugnet:

“PARKING SENSORS PROTECT YOUR INVESTMENT AND KEEP YOUR VEHICLE IN EXCELLENT CONDITION

tmoriss8”

Re: Question regarding real names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 6 Jun 2009 02:41:31 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Bob Parker wrote:
   Regarding this post: http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=27736

I thought that Lugnet has required a person’s real name when posting to show up in the post header information area. Did this requirement change at some point? I’m just curious since ‘NXTelectronee’ sure sounds like a strange person to meet in a dark alley.

I assume you’re referring to this post. The robotics group has a portal set up to receive posts from the lego-robotics mailing list at crynwr.com (links here). Because there is no way to force users on an external list to use real names, the name they use on the list is also used here. Life is full of trade-offs.

ROSCO

Subject:
Question regarding real names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 2009 15:38:21 GMT

Regarding this post: http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=27736

I thought that Lugnet has required a person’s real name when posting to show up in the post header information area. Did this requirement change at some point? I’m just curious since ‘NXTelectronee’ sure sounds like a strange person to meet in a dark alley.

Subject:
notes on Set Reference for 6091 and 6098
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 29 May 2009 15:02:31 GMT

The set reference for 6098, under Notes, says "Ages 8-12".

Box images at these two sites show "7-12"...
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?O=6098-1

An original 6091 box in my possession says "8-12".

My suspicion is that the age difference relates to where those sets were being
sold (but thats only a guess).

At the very least, fix the comments on 6098 to match what the box images show.

thanks, Ray

Subject:
email settings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 13:33:30 GMT

I’m not sure if this is the right group in which to post this. If not, please set follow-up topics accordingly.

I changed my email address a few months ago. (Domain used to be earthlink.net, but now it’s verizon.net.) I edited my LUGNET profile, and it shows the current/correct verizon email. However, when I post a message, the top where it shows the poster’s info (newsgroups, date, email, etc.) shows my old earthlink address.

I double checked my profile, and it does have the new address, so the newsgroup database must be pulling my email info from another source. Is there a way that I can change/update my email address that appears on messages that I post?

Thanks, David Gregory

crazylegoman@@@verizon...net

Re: What am I missing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.faq
Date:
Sun, 1 Mar 2009 21:29:53 GMT

Hi all,

luckily I am using Macs myself - unfortunately I didn’t notice this issue since I personally prefer Firefox over Safari on Mac OS X.

Anyway, I tried everything myself and narrowed the issue down to the primary cookie being created - the cookie name being used in LUGNET apparently is not very much to Safari’s liking, however since cookie naming is embedded deeply in the code, this is not changed easily.

I will try to change the name of the login cookie to a name that will be accepted by Safari. I will update you when things are fixed. In the meantime, your best bet would be Firefox which I have found is a very useful piece of software on all operating systems.

Regards,

Jerry

Re: What am I missing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.faq
Date:
Sun, 1 Mar 2009 17:15:01 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Crandall wrote:
   Hi, all--

I have a mystery I can’t solve!

I recently got a new Macbook. I can log onto LUGnet while in Windows, but need some help configuring the Mac so I can log in with OS X. It seems that the Mac does not let me allow cookies, even after telling Safari it’s okay.

Any help/suggestions you all have, would be greatly appreciated...I’d really like to not have to flip back to Windows to log in.

Build Well and Prosper,

Matthew Crandall, “The Brick Detective”

hI Matthew,

you might try downloading the Firefox web browser and see if that helps. if not there may be some issue with the set up you are using to connect to the web. we’ve had some users at the university not be able to loginto various systems due the configuration of the wireless connection in various “free” wifi businesses . we recommend the use of firefox as it tends to be more compatibility with pc based web systems. it’s apparently easier for the programmers to code for firefox as it’s on both pc’s and mac’s, than for safari which used to be mac only.

perhaps another macuser will be able to help with this as I tend to lurk and haven’t ever actually ‘logged into ’ lugnet

John

Subject:
What am I missing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.faq
Date:
Sun, 1 Mar 2009 05:41:36 GMT

Hi, all--

I have a mystery I can’t solve!

I recently got a new Macbook. I can log onto LUGnet while in Windows, but need some help configuring the Mac so I can log in with OS X. It seems that the Mac does not let me allow cookies, even after telling Safari it’s okay.

Any help/suggestions you all have, would be greatly appreciated...I’d really like to not have to flip back to Windows to log in.

Build Well and Prosper,

Matthew Crandall, “The Brick Detective”

Re: Chopped of message
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2008 18:58:44 GMT

Jerry,

Thanks for fixing this... There's also a problem with the line "PaB LEGO cups
are allowed (for floatation) as a construction element in your..." is being
chopped off as well.

Thanks again,
--Mike.

Hi Mike,

exact same thing - since it was just a word that was misaligned I maybe just
didn't see it upon first glance.

It's fixed now - however I figure that's something that should be dealt with
differently. I'll have a look...

Regards,

Jerry

Re: Chopped of message
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2008 15:57:47 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Gereon Stein wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Michael Huffman wrote:
I just posted something to lugnet.announce:

http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=3866

On the web, the 2nd to the last bullet items says:

"Organizers of the boat race are not responsible for any water damage or loss.
Contestants enter the competition entirely at their own risk. If you are using a
NXT/RCX in your boat construction, remember to keep the brick"

Hi Mike,

it appears that the cause was a pretty minor formatting error: The last line in
the respective bullet point lacked the two-blank indentation that all the other
lines had.

After inserting the missing indentation, the message displays fine on the web. I
am not immediately able to say why this would cause that much of a difference,
but apparently it did.

Anyway, issue fixed in this case - if I find the time I'll try some posts on
off-topic.test in order to find out why this happens and what to do about it
(other than fixing affected posts manually...)

Regards,

Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks for fixing this... There's also a problem with the line "PaB LEGO cups
are allowed (for floatation) as a construction element in your..." is being
chopped off as well.

Thanks again,
--Mike.

Re: Chopped of message
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2008 08:24:25 GMT

[...]

Subject:
Chopped of message
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 22:04:14 GMT

I just posted something to lugnet.announce:

http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=3866

On the web, the 2nd to the last bullet items says:

"Organizers of the boat race are not responsible for any water damage or loss.
Contestants enter the competition entirely at their own risk. If you are using a
NXT/RCX in your boat construction, remember to keep the brick"

But looking via NNTP, it says:

"Organizers of the boat race are not responsible for any water damage or loss.
Contestants enter the competition entirely at their own risk.  If you are using
a NXT/RCX in your boat construction, remember to keep the brick air-tight in
case it sinks!"

Looks like the web is chopping off part of the message, with FTX on.  Can
someone look into this?  It's happened a few times on that post where the
posting viewed via the web is chopped off.

Thanks,
--Mike.

Subject:
(pleae delete post) was Re: What happend to ZEMI.NET?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2008 12:45:48 GMT

URL error in above post.  Can someone delete the post (and this reply?)

Thanks,
Rob
www.lifelites.com

Re: Server maintenance tonight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2008 04:39:28 GMT

Hi all,

just a quick note: All is well ;)

The maintenance took about an hour, so most of you probably didn't even notice.

Thanks for your understanding,

Jerry

Re: Very strange server behavior today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2008 07:58:16 GMT

Just btw., may I distract you to

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/suggestions/?n=1639

where I have put another issue up for discussion? Given your creativity here I
am confident that you have some constructive views on that subject as well.

Thanks,

Jerry

Re: Very strange server behavior today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 22:04:01 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Gereon Stein wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Michael Huffman wrote:

And this might be harder to implement, but allow me control over what
people see and how they see it.  Again, I go back to blogger-like gadgets,
give me a simple template that I can manipulate color and the location of
displayed information on the page...  don't allow me to alter the CSS or
customize the HTML, just something very simple simple.

Hmm, given your other comments I'd want to be careful about color and layout
controls - LUGNET has a very straightforward and established look-and-feel
that we probably want to handle with care. If I look at what some MySpace
users do to their profile pages, it gives me the creeps.

I agree with you here, I have looked into the abyss of madness called MySpace &
have gone crazy myself!

What I meant to say was "control over JUST the profile page".  Agreed, there is
a nice established look with LUGNET, that it would be nice to keep those
aesthetic, but allow for some micro variations (eg. a limited color pallet,
limited changes in fonts (if any)).  Allow for some "individuality", but not
break the aesthetic.

--Mike.

Re: Very strange server behavior today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 21:38:55 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Michael Huffman wrote:
I know it's bad form to reply to your own post... but another idea would be a
updated user profile... I have a web-site, a blog, I'm on Facebook, Flickr,
LinkedIn, Picasa, Twitter, Plurk, FriendFeed, AIM, Y!M, gTalk, etc.  It would be
nice to see LUGNET leverage some of the Web 2.0 advancements... For instance,
maybe display my last 3 'LEGO' tagged photos from my Flickr account; check to
see if I'm on-line to chat; maybe you want to add me as a friend in Facebook;
see what I've been Twittering about; or see read I've been blogging about on my
LEGO blog.

Actually, some work on the user profiles is also very high on my wish (and ToDo)
list. I'm quite an active networker, too, and on all these "modern" platforms
you find - among all that clutter - some desirable features that might be
worthwhile considering for a LUGNET brush-up.

And this might be harder to implement, but allow me control over what people see
and how they see it.  Again, I go back to blogger-like gadgets, give me a simple
template that I can manipulate color and the location of displayed information
on the page...  don't allow me to alter the CSS or customize the HTML, just
something very simple simple.

Hmm, given your other comments I'd want to be careful about color and layout
controls - LUGNET has a very straightforward and established look-and-feel that
we probably want to handle with care. If I look at what some MySpace users do to
their profile pages, it gives me the creeps.

And a user avatar on the personal page would be nice to have... but please, NO
custom signatures!  To me there's nothing more annoying reading through a forums
and seeing all the different types of personal signatures... It's one of the
reasons I think LUGNET is superior to most forums, is the lack of clutter.

Good call! Yes, a profile image would be something many users have been asking
for - it need not necessarily be an avatar image although allowing for free
image selection will undoubtedly end up in a lot of folks uploading minifig or
other avatar images instead of a personal photo. I wouldn't mind that, although
the LUGNET culture has always been to post under your real name, thus attaching
your real photo might just be sensible. It's basically up to what everyone wants
to make of it.

I see my list growing longer and longer ;)

Regards,

Jerry

Re: Very strange server behavior today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 21:08:41 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Michael Huffman wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Gereon Stein wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Michael Huffman wrote:

There are also some ideas with regard to the web interface itself. What
is most limiting right now - as far as I am concerned - is a lack of time
for implementing everything that would be fun or even useful to have. But
a couple of things will need to happen and we'll see to it.

Some other ides to consider:

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 20:25:18 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Gereon Stein wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Michael Huffman wrote:
I've solved the read vs. unread issue by reading LUGNET via RSS & Google
reader. There's not enough traffic on LUGNET to prevent me from reading it
via RSS now (the traffic has dramatically dropped since Peeron introduced
the RSS feed). And I have the same ability to mark an item unread & read
it later if I want.

And there's no need to re-write NNTP readers to understand FTX.  But it
would be nice for the LUGNET RSS feed to include images -- that should
be a simple hack.

Thanks for your suggestions (all of you) - actually an FTX-capable news
reader might be something we'd need an idea of the actual demand for.
I'll take your suggestions into account and we'll see what we can make of
them.

As I said in another post, I think converting FTX to HTML on the back-end
would be a "better use of your time" type of solution, considering how
diverse your audience is.

There are also some ideas with regard to the web interface itself. What
is most limiting right now - as far as I am concerned - is a lack of time
for implementing everything that would be fun or even useful to have. But
a couple of things will need to happen and we'll see to it.

Some other ides to consider:

- A true RSS feed direct from LUGNET, with ability to follow post in
  a particular group (ie. lugnet.pirate or lugnet.loc.us.fl vs. everything).

- Posting/Reading API based on XML, with authentication.  With so much
  fragmentation going on with web-sites, it would be nice to see some one
  support cross-posting to LUGNET (ie. I'd make an announcement on the
  MyLEGOSite.com forum and have it cross-posted to LUGNET's lugnet.xxx group;
  it would be understood that I'd have to enter my LUGNET login credentials
  in order for my announcement to be cross-posted to LUGNET).

- I'd like to see Blogger-like gadgets as an side-bar option of the
  LUGNET groups.  Right now, to admin a section, you have to
  manually add FTX code if you want to change the side-bar to a LUGNET
  group.  What would be nice, add a gadget that sucks in a RSS feed from a
  LEGO blog & does a partial display of the blog as the sidebar.  (For
  instance the lugnet.trains.org.gfltc would actually display the RSS
  entries/announcements from the gflug.org web-site).

Just a few off the top of my head...

--Mike.

Re: Very strange server behavior today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:56:32 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Michael Huffman wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Gereon Stein wrote:
Your mention of FTX in posts and the issues this generates for NNTP access
have some ideas coming to my mind, though... ;)

The easiest solution would be to convert FTX in NNTP message files into HTML;
most NNTP browsers understand embedded HTML.  And then rewrite the web-posting
modules to convert FTX to "safe" HTML (ie. rejecting JavaScript injection or
other types of XSS attacks).

That's a really good idea, Michael.  There is already an internal function
for rendering FTX as HTML, which could be reused for this.  It might be a good
idea to filter out any JS injection attempts in URLs, which would benefit the
web-based interface as well.

The HTML could then be wrapped into a MIME container and the NNTP message could
be given in both its original unaltered form and the converted HTML form.

--Todd

Re: Very strange server behavior today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:44:32 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Gereon Stein wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, William R. Ward wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz wrote:

No web based forum has yet to provide the flexibility to keep track of what
I have read and what I have not read (and what I want to remember to
re-read - so I mark it unread again) that a news reader provides. Plus, a
news reader lets me decide which forums to keep track of.

I agree that NNTP is the best way, but I haven't used NNTP for a long time.
Ever since FTX was allowed in posts, it's been pretty useless because you
can't see the images and other FTX enhanced aspects of messages through
NNTP or email.

You are certainly right, however using NNTP to get your awareness raised
for new developments in your favorite newsgroup (or boards, as forum jargon
would put it) could be quite helpful. I find myself using this means at
least for some groups as well. As for "modern" forums, they sometimes do
offer an email notification system, which I regard as a similar but
nevertheless not as powerful approach.

Your mention of FTX in posts and the issues this generates for NNTP access
have some ideas coming to my mind, though... ;)

The easiest solution would be to convert FTX in NNTP message files into HTML;
most NNTP browsers understand embedded HTML.  And then rewrite the web-posting
modules to convert FTX to "safe" HTML (ie. rejecting JavaScript injection or
other types of XSS attacks).

--Mike.

Re: Very strange server behavior today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:22:23 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:12:43 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 14:58:40 GMT

Gereon "Jerry" Stein wrote:
Your mention of FTX in posts and the issues this generates for NNTP
access have some ideas coming to my mind, though... ;)

One solution would be an FTX enabled news reader. There is no reason why a
news reader could not process the FTX. Another thing a customized Lugnet
newsreader could do is post via the web interface. I don't think it would be
too tricky to get the login cookie to authenticate. This would then provide
a solution that would be much better than any pure web interface. Of course
it would only be available to those who can install software on their
system, but that probably wouldn't affect most NNTP users (I doubt anyone is
using NNTP from a public terminal for example).

Frank

Re: Very strange server behavior today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 08:13:34 GMT

As a follow-up to the original announcement, I would like to let everyone know
that the "visitor" who basically jammed the NNTP service came back this morning.

Since nothing else seemed to help, I had to block out his or her IP range
entirely from accessing the LUGNET server. This may cause some interruption for
normal (read: good) users in the network vicinity. Web access is not affected,
and neither should be mail, so if someone should find he or she cannot access
LUGNET through NNTP any more, they are encouraged to contact me. Just in case
the high traffic volume was caused by a client misconfiguration, I am sure we
can sort that out. Since I do not have any means to identify the individual
causing the problems, blocking them entirely was the only solution. Sorry.

Regards,

Jerry

Re: Very strange server behavior today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 06:25:13 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 2008 20:49:37 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz wrote:
No web based forum has yet to provide the flexibility to keep track of what
I have read and what I have not read (and what I want to remember to
re-read - so I mark it unread again) that a news reader provides. Plus, a
news reader lets me decide which forums to keep track of.

I agree that NNTP is the best way, but I haven't used NNTP for a long time.
Ever since FTX was allowed in posts, it's been pretty useless because you can't
see the images and other FTX enhanced aspects of messages through NNTP or email.

Re: Very strange server behavior today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 2008 18:54:36 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz wrote:
Geoffrey Hyde wrote:
If this continues to be a problem I would recommend that LUGNET
should go into a completely web-based server setup.  Allowing for the
initial time to setup the service so bots can't get into it, this
should significantly reduce posting problems and elimination of the
email-based web authentication would allow people to post messages
quicker and without having to rely on email servers that don't
respond as expected.

Oh, please no. The web interface has no way to keep track of read posts
other than your browser's memory of visited URLs.

No web based forum has yet to provide the flexibility to keep track of what
I have read and what I have not read (and what I want to remember to
re-read - so I mark it unread again) that a news reader provides. Plus, a
news reader lets me decide which forums to keep track of.

I should like to point out (again), that I was already quite fond of the
approach the LUGNET implementation took back when I was just one of many happy
users and didn't have the slightest idea I might become one of LUGNET's admins
one day.

That said, I currently do not see a reasonable way to pursue a web-only solution
and drop the NNTP and email interfaces so many of you are still happy to use.
Yes, there are plenty of web-based forum solutions that cater for very large
communities without significant performance issues. However, if the call for a
web-based solution were only for the avoidance of email authentication, I think
it has already become widely known, that the simple and easy registration as a
LUGNET member and subsequent login to the web interface will allow posting
without having to authenticate individual posts via email any more. As a matter
of fact I am writing this through the web interface, too, because I myself have
found this a very convenient way. I still find myself posting through NNTP and
email every now and then.

Yes, we do find issues with the email service, however a large number of
complaints have successfully been tracked back to not a server issue but
interconnection issues or actually other email service providers failing to
accept outgoing traffic (digests or authentication requests). I am pretty sure
that the server issues we do find will become fewer and fewer as I frequently
implement fixes for specific issues that are identified. There is simply no way,
however, to fix anything for other service providers. They will have to do their
share of the work, and where log files allow identification of an issue, I am
the first to happily pass the information to whoever might be able to fix
things. Responsiveness is unfortunately a word not everyone appears to have in
their dictionaries... oh well...

Our logs tell us that NNTP service and the email interface are used quite
heavily. As long as this remains the case, it would certainly be
counter-productive to try an entirely new approach - except if the vast majority
of you should suddenly decide to ask for exactly this.

Have fun,

Jerry

Re: Very strange server behavior today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2008 18:34:32 GMT

Geoffrey Hyde wrote:
"Gereon "Jerry" Stein" <jerry@lugnet.com> wrote in message
I know many of you are relying on the NNTP service to read and post
LUGNET news.
That's entirely fine. However I found a small number of IP addresses
basically
generating so much traffic that the system was next to unusable.
What's worse,
after a couple of weeks without significant email outages, the email
service
also stopped working, so you may find posts sent through email or
the web and
waiting for authentication to be delayed.

If this continues to be a problem I would recommend that LUGNET
should go into a completely web-based server setup.  Allowing for the
initial time to setup the service so bots can't get into it, this
should significantly reduce posting problems and elimination of the
email-based web authentication would allow people to post messages
quicker and without having to rely on email servers that don't
respond as expected.

Oh, please no. The web interface has no way to keep track of read posts
other than your browser's memory of visited URLs.

No web based forum has yet to provide the flexibility to keep track of what
I have read and what I have not read (and what I want to remember to
re-read - so I mark it unread again) that a news reader provides. Plus, a
news reader lets me decide which forums to keep track of.

Frank

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact