 Administrative / General / 14044
Re: Very strange server behavior today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 06:25:13 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, William R. Ward wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz wrote:
No web based forum has yet to provide the flexibility to keep track of what
I have read and what I have not read (and what I want to remember to
re-read - so I mark it unread again) that a news reader provides. Plus, a
news reader lets me decide which forums to keep track of.

I agree that NNTP is the best way, but I haven't used NNTP for a long time.
Ever since FTX was allowed in posts, it's been pretty useless because you can't
see the images and other FTX enhanced aspects of messages through NNTP or email.

You are certainly right, however using NNTP to get your awareness raised for new
developments in your favorite newsgroup (or boards, as forum jargon would put
it) could be quite helpful. I find myself using this means at least for some
groups as well. As for "modern" forums, they sometimes do offer an email
notification system, which I regard as a similar but nevertheless not as
powerful approach.

Your mention of FTX in posts and the issues this generates for NNTP access have
some ideas coming to my mind, though... ;)

Regards,

Jerry