 Administrative / General / 14051
Re: Very strange server behavior today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 20:25:18 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Gereon Stein wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Michael Huffman wrote:
I've solved the read vs. unread issue by reading LUGNET via RSS & Google
reader. There's not enough traffic on LUGNET to prevent me from reading it
via RSS now (the traffic has dramatically dropped since Peeron introduced
the RSS feed). And I have the same ability to mark an item unread & read
it later if I want.

And there's no need to re-write NNTP readers to understand FTX.  But it
would be nice for the LUGNET RSS feed to include images -- that should
be a simple hack.

Thanks for your suggestions (all of you) - actually an FTX-capable news
reader might be something we'd need an idea of the actual demand for.
I'll take your suggestions into account and we'll see what we can make of
them.

As I said in another post, I think converting FTX to HTML on the back-end
would be a "better use of your time" type of solution, considering how
diverse your audience is.

There are also some ideas with regard to the web interface itself. What
is most limiting right now - as far as I am concerned - is a lack of time
for implementing everything that would be fun or even useful to have. But
a couple of things will need to happen and we'll see to it.

Some other ides to consider:

- A true RSS feed direct from LUGNET, with ability to follow post in
  a particular group (ie. lugnet.pirate or lugnet.loc.us.fl vs. everything).

- Posting/Reading API based on XML, with authentication.  With so much
  fragmentation going on with web-sites, it would be nice to see some one
  support cross-posting to LUGNET (ie. I'd make an announcement on the
  MyLEGOSite.com forum and have it cross-posted to LUGNET's lugnet.xxx group;
  it would be understood that I'd have to enter my LUGNET login credentials
  in order for my announcement to be cross-posted to LUGNET).

- I'd like to see Blogger-like gadgets as an side-bar option of the
  LUGNET groups.  Right now, to admin a section, you have to
  manually add FTX code if you want to change the side-bar to a LUGNET
  group.  What would be nice, add a gadget that sucks in a RSS feed from a
  LEGO blog & does a partial display of the blog as the sidebar.  (For
  instance the lugnet.trains.org.gfltc would actually display the RSS
  entries/announcements from the gflug.org web-site).

Just a few off the top of my head...

--Mike.