 Administrative / General / 14049
Re: Very strange server behavior today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:44:32 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Gereon Stein wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, William R. Ward wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz wrote:

No web based forum has yet to provide the flexibility to keep track of what
I have read and what I have not read (and what I want to remember to
re-read - so I mark it unread again) that a news reader provides. Plus, a
news reader lets me decide which forums to keep track of.

I agree that NNTP is the best way, but I haven't used NNTP for a long time.
Ever since FTX was allowed in posts, it's been pretty useless because you
can't see the images and other FTX enhanced aspects of messages through
NNTP or email.

You are certainly right, however using NNTP to get your awareness raised
for new developments in your favorite newsgroup (or boards, as forum jargon
would put it) could be quite helpful. I find myself using this means at
least for some groups as well. As for "modern" forums, they sometimes do
offer an email notification system, which I regard as a similar but
nevertheless not as powerful approach.

Your mention of FTX in posts and the issues this generates for NNTP access
have some ideas coming to my mind, though... ;)

The easiest solution would be to convert FTX in NNTP message files into HTML;
most NNTP browsers understand embedded HTML.  And then rewrite the web-posting
modules to convert FTX to "safe" HTML (ie. rejecting JavaScript injection or
other types of XSS attacks).

--Mike.