 Administrative / General / 14041
Re: Very strange server behavior today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2008 18:34:32 GMT

Geoffrey Hyde wrote:
"Gereon "Jerry" Stein" <jerry@lugnet.com> wrote in message
news:K5urGL.Gxy@lugnet.com...
I know many of you are relying on the NNTP service to read and post
LUGNET news.
That's entirely fine. However I found a small number of IP addresses
basically
generating so much traffic that the system was next to unusable.
What's worse,
after a couple of weeks without significant email outages, the email
service
also stopped working, so you may find posts sent through email or
the web and
waiting for authentication to be delayed.

If this continues to be a problem I would recommend that LUGNET
should go into a completely web-based server setup.  Allowing for the
initial time to setup the service so bots can't get into it, this
should significantly reduce posting problems and elimination of the
email-based web authentication would allow people to post messages
quicker and without having to rely on email servers that don't
respond as expected.

Oh, please no. The web interface has no way to keep track of read posts
other than your browser's memory of visited URLs.

No web based forum has yet to provide the flexibility to keep track of what
I have read and what I have not read (and what I want to remember to
re-read - so I mark it unread again) that a news reader provides. Plus, a
news reader lets me decide which forums to keep track of.

Frank