 Administrative / General / 14045
Re: Very strange server behavior today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 08:13:34 GMT

As a follow-up to the original announcement, I would like to let everyone know
that the "visitor" who basically jammed the NNTP service came back this morning.

Since nothing else seemed to help, I had to block out his or her IP range
entirely from accessing the LUGNET server. This may cause some interruption for
normal (read: good) users in the network vicinity. Web access is not affected,
and neither should be mail, so if someone should find he or she cannot access
LUGNET through NNTP any more, they are encouraged to contact me. Just in case
the high traffic volume was caused by a client misconfiguration, I am sure we
can sort that out. Since I do not have any means to identify the individual
causing the problems, blocking them entirely was the only solution. Sorry.

Regards,

Jerry