 Administrative / General / 14079
Re: Password Change
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2010 09:35:50 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Michael Tighe wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Robert Gurskey wrote:
Now that I have finally been approved to post messages, how do I go about
getting my password reset? • (...)
This question still needs to be answered.  I recently was able to get my
password reset and log back on to update my set list.

However, how does one go about changing one's own password!?!

Hi Michael,

actually, all you need to do is go to the (not immediately obvious)

http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/pw/

page. You will see the link on the page where you sign in - but not easily
thereafter. I am taking that as a hint to probably add another button on the
profile editing page - it certainly makes sense that way.

Please note that the password changing process on LUGNET is slightly different
from other platforms. As a matter of fact, you can set several passwords for
your account, decide to retire (delete) old ones, or - which is most commonly
used on other websites - change one you are currently using.

The danger lies within changing the _only_ password you have. It may be wise to
keep the password that was originally issued to you in a safe place (we don't
keep records of such passwords but have to generate new ones in case you
forget). You can then set yourself another password that you can probably
memorize more easily (it shouldn't be insecure, though ;) )

The Password Change page is pretty self-explanatory. As I said, I'll ad a link
that has more visibility, but the password change mechanism itself is not going
to be modified just yet. So it's up to you to decide if you want to go with more
than one password or rather not. (Personally, I currently have three active
passwords, one of which is still the good old sign-up password I got years
ago...)

Regards,
Jerry