 Administrative / General / 14091
Re: Weird issue signing in?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2011 05:53:43 GMT

Hi all,

my apologies, I am indeed monitoring the forum, but have had quite a bit of
workload recently and thus only noticed these posts when working through my
backlog (luckily I have subscribed to a few newsgroups by email and do get
notifications eventually...)

In lugnet.admin.general, Janey C. L. Gunning wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Ross Crawford wrote:
I seem to be having weird issues signing in to Lugnet.

When I go to the sign-in page, it displays the ID/password fields, but also has
"Ross, you are already signed in. Did you want to sign out?" at the top, when
I'm definitely signed out.

To me this would imply that the cookie deletion upon sign-off was not complete
for whatever reason. I would need to debug the code to some point to see if this
is actually even possible. My standard approach in case of "weird" sign-in
issues is to completely clear the browser cache and delete all cookies (if you
do so manually, for the cookies deleting everything bearing "lugnet" in the
server name will probably do).

In IE9 I can then sign-in OK, but in FF4 I get a page saying "There is some good
news and some bad news.

And that is particularly weird as FF4 is my primary browser and I found it to be
a lot more reliable than FF3 ever was for me.

But I also frequently test with IE (well, less frequently due to my rather
limited affection to operating systems from Redmond) and Safari - neither
producing any issues lately. I am happy to try and debug with you, though.

The bad news:

    Your browser seems to have rejected the cookie. LUGNET cannot authenticate
you without this cookie.

I'm speculating (which I don't like doing), but it is possible that your browser
still has a cookie in the cache that it is unable to overwrite. Did you change
anything in your system/browser/user setup recently?

I have confirmed my clock is correct, and cookie settings seem fine (the cookie
is actually getting created) but Lugnet treats me as logged out.

Strange - I agree. Please let me know (preferrably by email) when you would be
online for testing and we can try to arrange a session. I would like to get to
the cause of this before it gets worse.

If you have seen this happening at a particular time, it would help if you send
me the exact time (including time zone) and the IP address you have been
assigned at that time. I can then check the logs if something strikes me there.

Yes, you are the third person in the last two weeks that have mentioned it to
me.  Both of the others are also long time Lugnet posters and shouldnt, but are,
having difficulties posting.

They are invited to get in touch as well - we haven't changed anything about
Lugnet recently, so I would like to find out what could be wrong here.

I personally think you should send this letter directly to Gereon Stein, because
I dont think anyone is monitoring this forum on much of a regular basis.

Working on it. Most of recent monitoring consisted of once again replacing the
server's power supply unit, and preparing a brand-new machine to upgrade our
infrastructure in the near future (mostly in order to avoid subsequent hardware
failure, of course).

Regards,
Jerry