 Administrative / General / 14115
Re: LUGNET is moving servers once more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 4 May 2020 05:44:10 GMT

Hi everybody,

the server move as such has been very successful this time as opposed to
previous moves.

Not only did the move just take a mere 2 hours, primarily due to the low
bandwidth available to transfer all the files and fix a few settings.

More importantly, I was finally able to identify a few code glitches that kept
flooding the server error log, keeping me from focusing on the really
complicated items that invariably do exist in sometimes over 20 year old
scripts.

Anyway, LUGNET is up and running, apparently a lot more smoothly than it has
been for a while, and even the ancient C News service (which is required to
enable news posting) is still working.

I am sorry, though, that the email gateway that was used to conveniently post
messages until quite some time ago remains broken. It almost seems like some
internals of the mail transfer agent have changed that prevent the old scripts
from handling incoming mail correctly - I am therefore not promising to fix it -
it may come as a suprise if I finally get the knot untied.

Personally, I'm glad the site still works and there are still enthusiasts out
there who appreciate it. In times like these, that is a good thing and makes
every effort worthwhile.

Thanks and have fun,

Jerry