 General / 55561
Re: Forum shift
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2010 18:31:28 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky wrote:
People have been asking for change for years with no visible effort being put
into this. I'm tired of waiting. Maybe you can try?

That's a fair request.  I'll get in touch with our friendly system
administrators.

As I recall, the NNTP engine for LUGNET wasn't something that Todd custom-wrote
(like the web interface), but was a build of some already-existing
implementation, which could be why it's a little less accessible.  I remember
hunting around for the NNTP code to little avail.

I expect that in order to make this work, it's possible that you would have to
post ONCE from the web interface, while logged in as a valid member ID, in order
to establish the connection between your member ID and your posting ID (I don't
recall where that's stored or how it's kept).

However, once that connection has been established, it ought to be possible to
use your member ID/password to log in, so long as the email address provided in
the NNTP posting matches the one on file that's attached to your member ID.
It's messy and kludgy (because LUGNET doesn't really maintain a proper
correlation between valid emails and members), but in theory it's possible.

I wouldn't mind taking a look, although I think I'd probably need my SSH key
re-enabled since I think it's been disabled for a while.  And of course if
Rene/Jerry want to take a look at it themselves, I'm all for that!

DaveE

(FUT .admin.general)