 Trains / 8729
Re: Hypothetically Speaking...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 18:24:39 GMT

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, John Neal (<3A342C3A.27804FD4@uswest.net>) wrote at
01:22:12

Tony Priestman wrote:

Perhaps both sizes? A sort of Model Team Train theme.

Maybe you are on to something, Tony.  Rather than try and get all of these
folks into the mindset of evolving the 9 volt system, let TLC create a
second, more realistic, prototype-modeling 8 wide train line.

This was what I was thinking.

And TLC can
still keep producing 4561-type sets (or even 4558 for that matter) for all
of those who want their toy train line that is compatible with trains from
1964.  And they can play with their 4533s and dream of acquiring the rare
3225...

...which is not unreasonable, if you are a 10 year old, and have to play
with it in your bedroom & take it down before you go to bed :-)

(BTW, Busy Bee still have plenty of 3225s)

And let those of us who want new couplers, trucks, better details, more
realism, etc., have our train line.  Call it "Model Trains".  Aim it at
ALTDs instead of kids, for LTCers who show off LEGO at train shows.  Keep it
to scale with the minifig, but make it 8 wide.  But I bet that if they did
that, people would abandon the old 9 volt system in a New York minute, akin
to the mass exodus from RTL to LUGNet.

I like the sound of Model Trains. But I think you're being a bit over-
enthusiastic in thinking that everyone would rush to the new size. The
evidence of this debate shows that some people have very fixed views.

I can see that a wholesale change *would* upset some people, but given
the commonality of a large number (if not all) of the required parts, I
can't see how anyone could object to TLC testing the water with maybe a
loco & some rolling stock. If they were good models based on real
prototypes, they would sell in their own right.
--
Tony Priestman