 Trains / 8692
Re: Hypothetically Speaking...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 22:46:43 GMT

"John Neal" <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote in message
news:3A33E582.4335F947@uswest.net...

Mike Walsh wrote:

I'd prefer them to stay 6-wide.  Moving to 8-wide would likely mean at • least
a 33% more bricks to build a train which means the cost would go up a • fair
amount.  There are a lot of good 6-wide designs, I not sure I see any • real
benefit to TLC for moving to 8-wide.  I suspect that staying with 6-wide
will be a better business decision for TLC and allow them to serve a • larger
market.  When "toys" get in the three digit price range there are a lot • of
people who won't even consider them as a purchase.  Now if TLC wants to • go
after the model railroading market then changing to 8-wide probably • makes
sense but that would be a divergence from their primary business.

This is my whole point!  Are people happy with TLC producing "toy" trains, • or
would people like to see a move on the part of TLC to go to the next level • of
detail and sophistication in the trains theme!  I hear a lot of people • saying
that they want a larger radius curves, DCC, motorized points, etc.  But if • you
are satisfied with LEGO trains as "toys", why desire "model railroad"
appointments?  This seems a little inconsistent to me.

As someone who builds 'toy trains', I don't think it's inconsistent.
Controlling trains is not about having a 'model railroad' but doing what
trains are created for: to ride the track. It doesn't matter if the trains
are realistic or not, the ability to control the train's movement is what
everyone likes!

What about this: someone likes castles and trains and decides to mix the
themes and creates a medieval fantasy steam train (much like Jeff Johnston's
excellent steam powered fantasy style mecha:
http://people.ne.mediaone.net/sakura/moc/castleworld/cornelius/cornelius.htm
l )
Far from 'model railroad' but it would still be great to use DCC to run the
trains! Maybe it's a far fetched example... oh well.

And BTW, I am not considering the benefits or "business decisions" of TLC; • I am
asking about what is most beneficial *to us* as consumers.  If it is a
divergence from their primary business, it will be because that is what • *we*
wanted, not what *they* want.

Hmm. Sorry to put it this way but, I'm not sure if '8 wide and lot's of
prototypical details' is what *all* of us want. It's what *some* of us want.
Since it's a matter of personal tast I fail to see how the choice 6 or 8 is
benificial to *us*. As long TLC produces parts, people can decide themselves
what format they're confortable with.

-Frank