 Trains / 8687
Re: Hypothetically Speaking...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 20:53:40 GMT

Matthew Greene wrote:

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
Some questions which I would like all LTDs (LEGO Train Dudes) to ponder
and discuss:

What if the guy/gal in charge of designing LEGO trains posted here and
asked, "Should we continue to design LEGO trains 6 wide or begin to
design them 8 wide?"  What would be your response?  Would you care
necessarily?  What if he/she also said, "We're also going to offer
larger radius track curves, new points, DCC; eventually the works."
Would that influence your preference between 6/8 wide?

For me the basic point comes down to size.  My layout is 9 X 20 and to
increase it by 1/3 would mean I could never set all the modules up.  Also as
Larry point out increased cost would slow down developement.

Larry's all wet with his 1/3 this and 1/3 that blah blah.  8 wide trains are
just that-- 2 studs wider than your trains-- that's all.  Why ever would you
think you'd need to increase the size of a huge layout like yours by a
third????

But you bring up an interesting point.  If TLC gives us wider radius curves,
THAT will be a problem for home layouts, because not many have the room for a
4' diameter turn (I'm guessing 4 feet; currently the diameter is 27.5")  That
will be far more restrictive than any 8 wide train car....

-John

8 wides are great for models, 10 or 12 wides are probably even better, but
for an operating layout, 6 wide is the right size for me.

Or, if TLC just out of the blue started producing 8 wide trains, how
would you feel about it?  Would you just accept it and build from there,
or would you feel that 6 wide was better and consider it another bad
move by TLC?  Or would you just be happy that TLC was producing more
trains again-- 6 wide, 8 wide--whatever?

If TLC started making 8 wide, sure buy it for the parts.  Most of us buy JR
train for parts now and build our own.

I have a sense of how people feel about the subject, but I wanted some
direct feedback to see whether or not I am all wet.  These are purely
hypothetical questions:-)

-John