 Trains / 8698
Re: Hypothetically Speaking...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 02:09:47 GMT

John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote in message
news:3A342C3A.27804FD4@uswest.net...

Maybe you are on to something, Tony.  Rather than try and get all of these
folks into the mindset of evolving the 9 volt system, let TLC create a
second, more realistic, prototype-modeling 8 wide train line.  And TLC can
still keep producing 4561-type sets (or even 4558 for that matter) for all
of those who want their toy train line that is compatible with trains from
1964.  And they can play with their 4533s and dream of acquiring the rare
3225...

And let those of us who want new couplers, trucks, better details, more
realism, etc., have our train line.  Call it "Model Trains".  Aim it at
ALTDs instead of kids, for LTCers who show off LEGO at train shows.  Keep • it
to scale with the minifig, but make it 8 wide.  But I bet that if they did
that, people would abandon the old 9 volt system in a New York minute, • akin
to the mass exodus from RTL to LUGNet.

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. I'm only a lurker in L.T right
now - I'm not a serious buider yet, but one of the projects I'm feeling out
at the moment is making models of the Melbourne (Australia) trams. I'm
currently looking at 10-wide superstructure over standard 6-wide tracks.
They'd probably fit quite nicely with some 8-wide trains, given that the
"real-life" trams are narrow guage. I reckon if you went to 8-wide tracks,
and started looking at "model-team" style models, you'd probably start
looking at 10-wide superstructure, anyway (I would).

So, 8-wide is a nice idea (and please make the curves bigger radius! - maybe
a couple of choices??), I'd certainly be happy to buy some, but I won't be
throwing away any 6-wide for a while....

Regards,

ROSCO