 Trains / 8682
Re: Hypothetically Speaking...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 18:54:40 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
Some questions which I would like all LTDs (LEGO Train Dudes) to ponder
and discuss:

What if the guy/gal in charge of designing LEGO trains posted here and
asked, "Should we continue to design LEGO trains 6 wide or begin to
design them 8 wide?"  What would be your response?

I'd rather see GOOD 6-wide designs than BAD 8-wide designs.  The recent LEGO
trains (4559 & 4561) are just not very realistic trains.  I think kids (and
AFOLs) would rather have realistic looking trains.

One of the issues is the North America vs. the rest of the World issue.
From what I've seen, the European trains are very different styles from the
North American trains.  Since LEGO is a world-wide company, how do they
choose what sort of trains to model?  I know several people who would say
"North American trains are the *only* trains to model", but I've also heard
a statistic that Germany is a bigger market for trains than the United
States is.  Would LEGO design trains just to appeal to one of their
*smaller* markets?

I wouldn't expect LEGO to move their entire train line to 8-wide.  I could
see them releasing the occasional 8-wide set, someone earlier in this thread
compared the idea to the Model Team sets.

Improved track geometry would be the first thing I would suggest.  Larger
radius curves, improved 'points', 1/2 (1/4?) length straight tracks would
all be very welcome.  Flex track would be nice, but I'm not sure LEGO could
do that to their usual level of quality - remember, it has to be designed
for use by kids, and they can be rough on pieces sometimes!

Here's my second suggestion:  Have an issue of "Mania Magazine" be dedicated
to trains.  Show pictures of some of the LTClub layouts, show the crowds
they always get at train shows.  Show pictures of the various MOC scales:  4
wide, 6 wide, 8 wide, heck - even John Neal's insanely huge 14 wides.  Show
the GMLTC layout at Kidvention last Summer.  (Gotta plug the group I'm
involved with! <grin>)

How about a sound element (similar to the existing siren element) that makes
train sounds?  How about bringing back the 'sidearm' elements that made the
12volt motors so much nicer looking than the 9volt motors?

The other thing I would very much like to see is LEGO 'encouraging' people
to use the Mindstorms RCX with trains.  Are there any sensors that would be
useful to trains?  (I don't have any specific ideas, I'm just offering
another topic to discuss...)

There's still much to do, both from the AFOL side and from TLG.  I think if
we all work towards a common goal we could make the trains theme better for
everyone.

JohnG, GMLTC