 Trains / 8686
Re: Hypothetically Speaking...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 20:51:05 GMT

In lugn
This is my whole point!  Are people happy with TLC producing "toy" trains, or
would people like to see a move on the part of TLC to go to the next level of
detail and sophistication in the trains theme!  I hear a lot of people saying
that they want a larger radius curves, DCC, motorized points, etc.  But if you
are satisfied with LEGO trains as "toys", why desire "model railroad"
appointments?  This seems a little inconsistent to me.

Because no one else even comes _close_ to the price that Lego have for a
1/4"-1/2" model range.  Old Hornby O goes for astronomical prices, new Lionel
is just about as bad! (I mean, the current production hudsons are $500
USD...not in the kiddy toy price range, that is for sure!-heck, you are
getting on for 1/3rd of what I paid for my latest live steamer...)

A increase, assuming that DCC costs $50/motor (in sets) to impliment (I think
_very_ high, given that DCC decoders are available at retail for less than $20
USD) would be a reasonable maxiumum figure.  Now, this does NOT include the
controller.  I believe MRC's DCC controller is around $150.  But, note, that
DCC can be sold as a accessory, with the motors being screw together, rather
than the current hot weld, and a DCC plug in them...along with a Lego brand DCC
chip available from S@H, and a DCC controller, also available from S@H.  This
should bring the cost increase down to $5 at the retail level, which would be
great.  It means, that if you buy one controller, that it would be a DC
controller (as they are now), with a output that could be used as a throttle in
a DCC arrangement. (Channel 0, or as a imput throttle, not sure how that would
work though...)  Given the fact that Lego only has 5 steps right now, a 8 step
DCC module would be fine for what we do.

So, I think DCC is reasonable, but should be done with a modular setup, rather
than as a forced purchase, simply because of the cost involved.  You _are_
looking at $300-500 for decent equipment, most of us would drop that in  a
heartbeat, but unless extra functions come with it, I don't think regular
consumers would be quite as willing.  For example, if the did make the motor
DCC, put the output connection to the DCC chip, so that a shorting wire is used
without the chip, and it is F1 on the chip to turn it on or off...that way, one
could get a function controllable output (perferably bidirectional, and speed
controlled) out of the motor as well as the motor traveling.

James P