 Trains / 8664
Re: Hypothetically Speaking...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 01:06:30 GMT

"John Neal" <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote in message
news:3A32A16E.30CC5580@uswest.net...
Some questions which I would like all LTDs (LEGO Train Dudes) to ponder
and discuss:

What if the guy/gal in charge of designing LEGO trains posted here and
asked, "Should we continue to design LEGO trains 6 wide or begin to
design them 8 wide?"  What would be your response?  Would you care
necessarily?

For me, when LEGO would ask I would prefer to keep it 6 wide. Why? Al my
current rolling stock is 6 wide to match the 'look and feel' of the official
sets I own and keep on the track next to my MOCs. I tried some 8 wide
engines but it feels too big when matched with the town layout I currently
have (many 80s town sets).
If I would build ALL my town and train sets from scratch it would probably
matter little to me, however between the MOCs there are some TLC designed
sets I want to keep and I'm afraid those will not blend in well with 8 wide
trains.

What if he/she also said, "We're also going to offer
larger radius track curves, new points, DCC; eventually the works."
Would that influence your preference between 6/8 wide?

It would not influence my opion. 6 and 8 wides both benefit of better track
geometrics and DCC.
Correct me if I am wrong, for 8 wide trains, the currect track (width) is
okay? I remember someone saying that trains are wider than the track and
building 8 wide on the current track simulates this?

Or, if TLC just out of the blue started producing 8 wide trains, how
would you feel about it?  Would you just accept it and build from there,
or would you feel that 6 wide was better and consider it another bad
move by TLC?

Tough one. Okay, if TLC goes 8 wide it really depends on what the trains
will look like, if a 8 wide Railway Express <set:4561> would be released,
I'd probably use the parts and keep building 6 wide ;-)

In general, I don't like switching to 8 wide format - all my current stuff
would require an update. So generally I would feel bad because I like to run
some original sets too. If it's a good update (switches have to be replaced
to support DCC for example) that's a different matter but if my old trains
would look like dwarfs next to the new sets I wouldn't be happy. Oh well, it
really depends on what trainsets TLC designs I think.

Or would you just be happy that TLC was producing more
trains again-- 6 wide, 8 wide--whatever?

I'm confident TLC will continue the train line :-)
I will be happy if they keep producing parts and let each of us decide what
width he/she wants build. I would also be happy with new track geometry and
DCC if the track was compatible with the current wheelsets -if the engines
and switches have to be replaced, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make, but
I would hate it if all my current rolling stock would become obsolete.

-Frank