 Trains / *4782 (-100)
  Re: Stickers - Problems

(...) 3225 is not a set it's a train - it deserves it's own category along with 4558 and 4565. A set in the model train world is something that can operate just using the components in the package. (...) It's been said before, 4561 would be so good (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: DCC and LEGO Trains

(...) Actually it is rather easy to do that. I've done that for my RCX Train. Unfortunately I didn't take picks of my working on the motor but I've got some pics of the completed item. (URL) image shows a second wire coming out of the motor just (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Newbie questions

I have seen train accessories and sets at Zainy Brainy. I can't recall if they have track, but they have a lot of stuff that is otherwise only available from shop at home. Richard Marchetti <blueofnoon@aol.com> wrote in message (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stickers - Problems

(...) the (...) to. (...) the (...) I've had a similar problem with a 3225 too - at first I thought that the box had been returned to the shop after someon had opened it and pulled the stickers off the backing. They seem to stay on the elements OK (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Apathy? (was: WAMALUG's GATS Layout was a huge success!)

(...) That's OK Larry - you're always there in spirit!! JohnG, GMLTC (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Stickers - Problems

I have never had a sticker problem EXCEPT with #4556, the small red train station. Some of the stickers were curling up off the backing when I opened the box, and they have continued to curl up from the elements they were applied to. I wonder if (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stickers - Problems

(...) No. 4560 is BETTER than 4561 because it doesn't come with the rather useless transformer. And 3225 is easily better than 4559. Although, as you say, it *is* a set rather than just a collection of cars or a locomotive. So I'd rank 4559 and (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Stickers - Problems

The last 2 new sets I have built (4560 & 3225) have both had the same problem with their stickers. The problem is that the other items inside the MISB boxes must rub against the sticker sheet and cause them to come off the sheet and stick on other (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Great posts( was Re: Apathy? (was: WAMALUG's GATS Layout was a huge success!)

(...) Well in fear of this being another "Me Too" post here goes. I agree with all that has been said here but I thought I would add some NELUG perspective. (...) I would have to agree. Plus I would have to add some of the sculpting done by Eric (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: DCC and LEGO Trains

(...) It depends, do you want lights or to run a 2nd motor slaved to the first? You wouldn't run over the 1 A limit, since you would have (C 25 Ohms/motor, 25/2=13 ohms circuit, 9/13=less than 1 amp). You should NOT try to run 3 motors connected to (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Model of MATRA VAL System

(...) How about just "Size" ? Sounds simple enough... K. (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Great posts( was Re: Apathy? (was: WAMALUG's GATS Layout was a huge success!)

I hate "me too" posts but what an excellent post. If we ever get to excluding people who love the brick just because they love it in a different way, we've failed. Just because castle isn't my cup of tea doesn't mean I can't hurt my jaw in amazement (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Apathy? (was: WAMALUG's GATS Layout was a huge success!)

(...) That it was called GMLTC is relatively new, but it has existed for many many years. It started as just Conan and his uncle but when Conan got a job at LIC MOA everyone else that worked there started going over to his house to build, then the (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: DCC and LEGO Trains

(...) Drat. We really need two outputs, one constant and one controlled, and two inputs, one constant and one controlled. (...) Right. I knew that. I just remembered it AFTER I pressed the send button. Sigh. Thanks for the reminder though (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: DCC and LEGO Trains

(...) that won't work with the current setup, since the upper power connection is controlled seperatly from the speed - that way the lights don't dim when you slow down the train. (which is cool on it's own). Perhaps it's possible not to do that, (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Model of MATRA VAL System

(...) Well put. Most of us except for Mr 8wide himself are happy to see others prosper in their chosen "scale" (1). 8wide needs to ease up or publicly acknowledge he's just always in "working the gag mode" as his fanaticism could be taken the wrong (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGOfest? (was Re: Talgo Update: Amtrak Cascadish Gull-Wing Car)

Erm, never mind. It's just a rumor at this point, nothing may come of it, and I was speaking out of turn. Please forget about it till you hear more. If you do. (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general)

  Re: DCC and LEGO Trains

I'm just spouting off... but one thing about the way DCC was implemented by Tom that struck me was.... why not allow multiple motors to be controlled by one receiver? I admit I only skimmed it. Suppose that in addition to modifying motors to install (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Newbie questions

(...) I still have brand new couplers, magnets and holders for sale----$2.50/pair bogie plates---- $1.75/pair Train motors and side pieces-- $19. That's about 30% off S@H's prices. LMK Crosspost to .market.b-s-t -John (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Model of MATRA VAL System

(...) BTW, that someone is *me*{:^D -John (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Model of MATRA VAL System

(...) Just trying to be diplomatic. (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Newbie questions

(...) AFAIK There are very few stores that sell track other than shop at home. There was a thred a while ago on one of the groups that mentioned that stores that wont carry the full lego line, they cant carry the full trains line. -- Jonathan Wilson (...) (25 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Model of MATRA VAL System

(...) What do you mean "Good Natured"? Divide and Conquer - The right way will win the day! Jon (...) (25 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Newbie questions

Hey y'all: Okay, so I now have the dreadful Railway Express. Now I want more track, those 6 x 28 wagon plates (except in black), bogieplates, buffers, magnets, and couplers, wheelsets, etc. What's the best route here? Who sells train stuff besides (...) (25 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  LEGOfest? (was Re: Talgo Update: Amtrak Cascadish Gull-Wing Car)

Did I miss something? Are one of the clubs planning on presenting a display at the LEGOfest? I was debating on whether to plan a trip out there this summer, but heck if there is going to be a club display there also I'm definitely coming out to see (...) (25 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general)

  Re: Apathy? (was: WAMALUG's GATS Layout was a huge success!)

(...) What Chris didn't see was the initial look of horror on my face, after not being there all day, stuck at work, thinking of nothing all day but being there to help tear down and collect my pieces, only to see one of my better creations lately (...) (25 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Remote Points

I seleniod switch, and DCC are very interesting ideas. They are unpure, I guess, but it is not like you are painting or cutting bricks. I have two motorized points, and at $25 (estimate on motor and parts) each a nonLEGO solution, especially if it (...) (25 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Model of MATRA VAL System

At the moment there are two LEGO scale trains, the six-wide and the eight-wide. Someone is working on a third scale, 14-wide. Current opions are that both scales are perfectly valid. Each size has its advantages and disadvangtages. But talking about (...) (25 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Model of MATRA VAL System

John Neal wrote in message <38C12E15.3EE71CE7@u...st.net>... (...) But... what if I made the car taller? (^: (...) Did I do the windows ok? The narrow ones are suposed to be doors (shrug). Black peices look like tinted windows. Iain -- tokama (URL) (...) (25 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Model of MATRA VAL System

Jean-marc Détraz wrote in message ... (...) Paris (...) I have planned a trip for late May/early June to visit Montreal (appr. 4h from Toronto by LRC, right?) to ride the Metro on the Saturday, and visit La Ronde on Sunday (big coaster buff here!). (...) (25 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Model of MATRA VAL System

In lugnet.trains, Iain Hendry writes: Really cool Iain! I like it very much since I've took both Montreal and Paris 's Metro. And for once I will be "usefull" in french ... (...) "Véhicule Automatique Léger" is the right spelling ;^) (...) Sincerly, (...) (25 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Model of MATRA VAL System

(...) Allow me, Larry;-) No, 8 wide isn't okay, it's *perfect*. It looks perfectly natural and dimensionally sound IMHO (...) All of the TLC's trains are 6 wide-- think of them as Town Junior on rails;-) Maybe it's just me, but I think snowmobiles (...) (25 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Model of MATRA VAL System

John Neal wrote in message <38C0B00B.F020B737@u...st.net>... (...) Is 8-wide ok? Or is that too wide for scale (isn't the Metroliner 6-studs wide?)? I wish I had more windows. Remember I'm not very good at the detailed stuff (^: Iain (25 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Model of MATRA VAL System

Miles Gentry wrote in message ... (...) wheels (...) Actually, none of the rubber-tyred systems I've seen have used that system. Rubber-tyred large-scale Metros, in such cities as Montreal and Paris, simply "drop off" the concrete guideway and roll (...) (25 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Model of MATRA VAL System

Iain- Nice 8 wide{:^D Welcome to the club;-) -John (...) (25 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Model of MATRA VAL System

Christopher Masi wrote in message <38C0A09A.6D56A7EA@c...ne.edu>... (...) I probably should have elaborated a little more in my original post. The intent was to build a rubber-tyred vehicle which could run on the standard LEGO 4.5v rails. The bogies (...) (25 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Possible get together?

Wave this off. my trip got cancelled (...) (25 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Remote Points

(...) I believe some of the earliest work on remote points advocates opening up the bottom, but merely to loosen up the mechanism. (file down the bumps, as you say).... Your idea of actually leaving the cover off and then working the switch from (...) (25 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Model of MATRA VAL System

Those trucks have a very different way of steering the truck through a curve. Nice idea. Chris (...) (25 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: GATS pictures (and MPGs!), first day

(...) No, I'm not kidding. I'd be happy to bring you a picture of three crocs, either in their boxes or built... (25 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us.wamalug)

  Re: Talgo Update: Amtrak Cascadish Gull-Wing Car

(...) I'll (...) etc, (...) way to (...) we (...) I would guess that we would have some form of isolation from everyone, since these items are not glued together and are not the property of Lego. Of course, they will have plenty of replacement parts (...) (25 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Talgo Update: Amtrak Cascadish Gull-Wing Car

Speaking of the LEGOfest, my car is probably going to get 10mpg on the trip, I'll have it so loaded down with ABS ;-) 20 car Metroliner, 30+ car freight train, various multi-baseplate buildings, etc, etc, etc... I just hope they have a decent amount (...) (25 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Model of MATRA VAL System

Rebel Transcanner wrote in message ... (...) (And doesn't it look bad when you reply to your own posts? (^X ) (...) (URL) Iain -- tokama (URL) UIN 5362826 AIM Linjerflyg h e n d r y j r AT o x f o r d DOT n e t (Remove bibiphoque to reply) (25 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Model of MATRA VAL System

Hello, (This is the first time posting to lugnet.trains!) I havn't really done anything with trains for *years*. It's all been robotics and amusement rides... but my passion for trains (more specifically, unorthidox mass transit) didn't die off. My (...) (25 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote in message news:Fquzwt.5tr@lugnet.com... (...) fine (...) what What WHAT?!?! GMLTC coming to Carlsbad? I didn't hear about that! When? The other big question is can I get my layout far enough along by then to (...) (25 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Talgo Update: Amtrak Cascadish Gull-Wing Car

(...) False colors? So what! You've got the "Genesis" look down in that engine. Very nice. As another poster said, the engine looks MASSIVE compared to the cars, which is just right. That small windshield works out well, and I LOVE how you used (...) (25 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Bay-Window Caboose and a few other cars

(...) I investigated the angled window idea, i don't think it will work for the space i have. I'm going to try the translucent roof bricks though. (...) They are used for various things- lumber and sheetrock are two things that i can think of off (...) (25 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Bay-Window Caboose and a few other cars

(...) roof bricks, translucent. If you mean roof bricks I do not think that will give you the look you want. I do not mean to be presumptuous but you could try mounting 1x2x2 windows at an angle. Ben ( (URL) and I ( (URL) both used the technique on (...) (25 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train events calendar?

(...) I just put this in my calander! Since that will be during my last semester here in Daytona, I will have been home, so I can bring my train stuff up here. If at all possible, could I bring a loco to run one day? I understand if no. I may have a (...) (25 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Talgo Update: Amtrak Cascadish Gull-Wing Car

The train looks great! I like how "heavy" the engine looks and how the whole train is so low-slung. Nice Job! (25 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: DCC and LEGO Trains

Todd Lehman wrote in message ... (...) And poor Mike, his post on Remote Points is #4561, I hope that doesn't bode ill for the future of LEGO Train automation (i.e. I hope we don't see juniorized automation). Hmm, and message 3225 (one of the best (...) (25 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: GATS pictures (and MPGs!), first day

(...) Your kidding, right? (Shhh... be quiet, maybe he was and is now hoping for a way out...) Well, maybe a small donation, not for me mind you, for WAMALUG... No Larry, it wont cost you or anyone else anything to come down to D.C. to play with us (...) (25 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us.wamalug)

  Re: DCC and LEGO Trains

(...) Hey, cool! The message count for the .trains group has reached the 45xx range. Tom, you just posted message #4558! --Todd (25 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Talgo Update: Amtrak Cascadish Gull-Wing Car

This is an excellent likeness of this train. I have to wait for these about once a month (usually on the southbound run from Portland), and aside from the admittedly non-standard colours, this looks fabu! (Though I am not a trainhead, I *do* (...) (25 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Thank You!

(...) How does the melody go? :-) --Todd (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Talgo Update: Amtrak Cascadish Gull-Wing Car

Even though a red, white, and black color scheme is incorrect for the Amtrak Cascades line in the Pacific Northwest, I have continued to develop this passenger trainset in the afore mentioned colors. To this end, a "gull-wing" type of Talgo end-unit (...) (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Thank You!

To all: I would like to thank all of you train modelers for sharing your unique and individual concepts and creations on the web. I truly believe that many of my own creations derive their inspiration from other excellent work I've seen. They are (...) (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Remote Points

(...) for (...) SORRY - FINGERS SLIPPED AND OFF IT WENT! 2. Pulse operation means faster control from many locations 3. (most important) Frees up lego motors/parts for more imaginative uses (...) Jon (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Remote Points

(...) The issue of remote control to Lego points has become a big issue - on the basis that no one has yet come up with a truly economical (and reliable over distances) approach, bearing in mind the large numbers of points on mosty layouts, I think (...) (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Replacement for old style train wheel rubber bands

(...) I just went this route for my three battery trains, which haven't been run for ten years. I got a bag of 500 for $2.49, it took two bands per wheel, I had yellow, green, blue and red to choose from, and now the trains run fine without (...) (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Remote Points

(...) You are right abouth that, but don't forget that this has big consequenses for the lay-out. You can't remove the point and place it on another location ! Once the lay-out is build, you have to keep it that way, or you have to fill the holes in (...) (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: GATS pictures (and MPGs!), first day

(...) I can probably do that, as soon as I unpack everything. Did you want all three assembled, or in their boxes, or what? :-) ++Lar (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us.wamalug)

  Re: Apathy? (was: WAMALUG's GATS Layout was a huge success!)

(...) They are quite similar. I modeled mine on a few pics of stations that I saw on some historical site. I wish I had enough black slopes for the roof, it's a little red. Space limitations on the WAMALUG layout didn't allow for a the platform (...) (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.wamalug)

  Re: Automatic decoupler designs?

* Jeff Christner (regult@aol.com) [000106 16:25]: (...) Jeff: If you put it up on (URL) you won't have to keep it on your site and others can add to it. You can upload pictures and everything. :) If you don't want to do that, can you tell me why? As (...) (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Possible get together?

It appears that I will be in Seattle all next week. While it is possible that the trip will not happen, and possible that I may be so busy that I can't get away, it is also possible that I may have some time for a get together with any one in the (...) (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea, lugnet.loc.us.wa, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Apathy? (was: WAMALUG's GATS Layout was a huge success!)

(...) hope (...) I'd be willing to do the mechanical changes. My suggestion would be to get some Indium based solder rather than even 60-40. I use some made by Carrs in the UK, and have no problems with it...the flux is hydrofloric acid though...so (...) (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Remote Points

(...) I open up and file down the tabs, then use the 3cm pnumatic cylinders to move the points. Right now, I don't have any of them connected, because I can reach all the switches, which means that it is kind of redundant to activate the points in (...) (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Remote Points

I have seen numerous ideas for remote operating switches (points) and they all look like they try to tackle the problem from the same place, the top. Why wouldn't it be possible to crack open the bottom of the switch, file down the bumps on the (...) (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Apathy? (was: WAMALUG's GATS Layout was a huge success!)

(...) (URL) instructions seem strait forward enuf... tho I'm still a bit nervous about soldering near a LEGO motor... Im trying to convince Tom to make a business out of this 'for a nominal fee' :-) (...) ...you can go back to ignoring me now... (...) (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Apathy? (was: WAMALUG's GATS Layout was a huge success!)

(...) ...The 'other 5' could be set to 'fixed speeds' while we played with the first 5. I had the best luck controlling two trains on one loop when I left one at a fixed speed and controlled the other as needed (course, helps if u pay attention :-) (...) (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains)

  DCC and LEGO Trains

I have completed a draft explanation of how I implemented DCC into LEGO Trains. This is the system/technique that we used at the latest WWW.WAMALUG.ORG show. If anyone is interested, it can be found at: (URL) feel free to comment and criticize. It (...) (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Apathy? (was: WAMALUG's GATS Layout was a huge success!)

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000 17:14:33 GMT Christopher Tracey <ctracey@wamalug.org> wrote concerning 'Re: Apathy? (was: WAMALUG's GATS Layout was a huge success!)': (...) I guess it's my job to take responsability for that one - I was driving the shunter (I (...) (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Apathy? (was: WAMALUG's GATS Layout was a huge success!)

(...) Could you imagine the mess ten trains would have made? :) It was bad enough with three trains, four trains was crazy, and five was plain insane. We had some spectacular crashes, the scariest of which was Rich's shunter doing a full-speed (...) (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Apathy? (was: WAMALUG's GATS Layout was a huge success!)

OK, now where's that website with all the info on how to build it? ;-) I hope you do a "DCC for Dummies", an EE I am NOT. (...) -- | Tom Stangl, Technical Support Netscape Communications Corp | Please do not associate my personal views with my (...) (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains)

I attempted to add some info to Chris' comments. "Christopher Tracey" <ctracey@wamalug.org> wrote in message news:38BE7C58.C2B336...lug.org... (...) drain (...) Technically we could have run 10 trains, but it only has 5 throttles, so you have to (...) (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains)

I attempted to add some info to Chris' comments. "Christopher Tracey" <ctracey@wamalug.org> wrote in message news:38BE7C58.C2B336...lug.org... (...) drain (...) Technical we could have run 10 trains, but it only has 5 throttles, so you have to (...) (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains)

  Bay-Window Caboose and a few other cars

Although I haven't put a web page up yet, I thought this group might enjoy a few pics of some recent train car creations bay window caboose. 3/4 view (3 URLs) may replace some of the side slope bricks with clear slopes to represent the forward/back (...) (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Apathy? (was: WAMALUG's GATS Layout was a huge success!)

(...) Chris, I looked at your SD40-2 last week shortly after you announced it. I was busy at the time and couldn't write any comments. By the time I had the time to write comments, I couldn't view your page(1) and most everything I wanted to say (...) (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: No LEGOFest...

Erik Olson wrote in message ... (...) I (...) couldn't move (...) always a (...) stores (...) store) (...) to do (...) when (...) I also visited the Construction site last year and I was thrilled to find that they carried the train sets. I also (...) (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general)

  Re: Tom Cook's web site url?

(...) (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Great Train Store - Chapter 11 (no Lego content)

While not about Lego trains specifically, it is about the Great Train Store, which has been the topic of some commentary as of late. According to this blurb on another toy site, they are filing for Chapter 11... (URL) Bryan (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: GATS pictures (and MPGs!), first day

Author! Author! (...) (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains, lugnet.general)

  Tom Cook's web site url?

Anyone know? I want to keep tabs on it since he said he'd soon be putting up information on how he converted his Lego trains to DCC. -- Paul Davidson, aka Tinman www.theforce.net | Your Daily Dose of Star Wars www.filmforce.net | Your Daily Dose of (...) (25 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Apathy? (was: WAMALUG's GATS Layout was a huge success!)

Jeff, Well, I am looking at the pictures now, I have been severely behind on e-mail, etc. From what I have seen so far, it is awesome, the big crane is mind-blowing. Great job everyone! Scott S. ___...___ Scott E. Sanburn-> ssanburn@cleanweb.net (...) (25 years ago, 1-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org)

  Apathy? (was: WAMALUG's GATS Layout was a huge success!)

Why has there been such apathy towards Wamalug's train shows? In the past month, there have been a total of nine messages from non-members about our setups. There has been absolutly no discussion, no critiques, and very little praise. Do you all (...) (25 years ago, 1-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org)

  Re: Replacement for old style train wheel rubber bands

(...) fine, and (...) it is (...) This seems to be the best idea. I have used shrink-wrap before on motorcycle wiring and used a rag soaked in boiling water to effect the shrink. This should not melt the Lego wheels but please note that Lego claim a (...) (25 years ago, 1-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Replacement for old style train wheel rubber bands

I'll say it again - good quality rubberized heatshrink tubing should work fine, and will lock down quite tightly if you find the right size. And if you use a lighter/heatgun carefully (or like me when I shrink the stuff, use a butane soldering iron (...) (25 years ago, 1-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train engine transmission

(...) I'd _love_ to see that engine...all you are hearing is the Turbocharger for the Diesel engine spooling up...which, is in effect, a turbine, but it is not powering the train :) The last Turbine powered engines were the UP's 8500HP monsters, and (...) (25 years ago, 1-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train engine transmission

(...) Yes, and there is more of a reason to it than that. It only takes getting the holes the right distance apart once, vs making gears. Another factor is the physical size of the connecting cardinal shaft required. For a "average" steam engine, (...) (25 years ago, 1-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train engine transmission

(...) Yes, there are several examples of Diesel-mechanical shunters (US=switchers) on which the only powered axle has no whells at all but is simple linked to the drive wheels via these rods Modern (...) You also see Diesel-Electric shunters with (...) (25 years ago, 1-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Thinking of selling my entire 9V collection

Michael Edwards <medwards@ukonline.co.uk> wrote in message news:Fqr7yw.3s8@lugnet.com... (...) Let me jump in here. Nobody offered you $2000 for them. They offered you $2000 plus the 952 Expert Builder tractor, which was on your wants list. Do you (...) (25 years ago, 1-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train engine transmission

(...) I can't answer everything here, but will spit out some information... The rod coupling works very well with steam engines for the reasons you surmised. The flexing issues due to curves and bumps are almost nil. This is not the case in (...) (25 years ago, 1-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Thinking of selling my entire 9V collection

(...) I haven't interacted with M.E. on this sale, but it would sure upset me if M.E. did to me what M.E. did to you! :-( In lugnet.trains, Michael Edwards writes: (...) Michael, I'm guessing from the "mum" statement that you're probably not old (...) (25 years ago, 1-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Soliciting counter-bids without intention to sell still an auction?

(...) Hmm, was not or is not? Regardless, you seem to have (a) solicited initial offers, (b) received offers, and even (c) solicited counter-offers. (...) Judging from the responses, and from what Scott posted, it really sounds to me like this may (...) (25 years ago, 1-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.market.theory)

  Train engine transmission

(This article is about the mechanics of train engines, not necessarily related to the LEGO train line. I hope to learn what I need to know if I'm going to build a train engine in LEGO some day, though, so I hope this is enough to justify posting the (...) (25 years ago, 1-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Thinking of selling my entire 9V collection

To Scott This was not a sale!!! I stated it in your email and I will state it again, look at (URL) stated in the very first line that I might not sell the trains If it was a sale, it would be in the wrong group, all I was doing is a bit of research! (...) (25 years ago, 1-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Thinking of selling my entire 9V collection

After _TWICE_ _agreeing_ terms (price, shipping & insurance) with ME last week. I got this form him yesterday morning: "Scott, my mum has told not to sell the trains, and they are packed away ready for the move." Now I'm told, by ME, 2 of the sets I (...) (25 years ago, 1-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Replacement for old style train wheel rubber bands

(...) <snip> You can also try the small bands sold for tying up hair into ponytails. You can get a package of about a zillion for a couple of dollars. They are usually different sizes, but you should be able to find something that fits. JohnG, GMLTC (25 years ago, 1-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Replacement for old style train wheel rubber bands

Do you have old worn out locomotive wheel rubber bands? I do and have found a solution that I thought I'd share -=orthodontic rubber bands=- . When I was a child I had a lot of orthodontic work done (braces and the hole bit). As a consolation of all (...) (25 years ago, 1-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  NGLTC at the 2000 Piedmont Division Train Show

I just got word today that the local NMRA has room for our club at their show this March. They didn't give me much notice (less than 12 days) but I'm scrambling to put together a small layout for the show. I expect the layout to be smaller than (...) (25 years ago, 1-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.dixielug, lugnet.loc.us.ga)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact