 Trains / 4562
Re: Remote Points
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 18:53:08 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Poindexter writes:
I have seen numerous ideas for remote operating switches (points) and they
all look like they try to tackle the problem from the same place, the top.
Why wouldn't it be possible to crack open the bottom of the switch, file
down the bumps on the switch that make it hard to move from one position to
another, and then attach (glue, screw, tattoo) a control to that piece of
plastic.  The entire assembly could then sit UNDER the switch.  This would
have a couple advantages:

#1 - no visible housing would be required at each point, which looks kind of
silly in a train yard.
#2 - the point position indicator wouldn't need to be up, so long John Neal
cars could navigate the set of points without hitting the switch control.
(This is not an 8-wide issue, there are some 6 wide steam locos that have
the same problem)

The main disadvantages are that it isn't a pure Lego solution unless you
attach the control motor/pneumatic piston with Lego string, and that the
point would have to be either sitting over a hole in the table where the
point switch is, or be raised up a certain number of bricks, which affects
the tabletop designs, but not the Legomodular designs.

I have been considering this as an alternative to the other point control
ideas.  I don't have the time right now to make one, but would like to offer
out the idea so that others may try, if they want.  It just seemed to me
that the only way to completely hide the thing was to build over it and that
would require putting it underneath the points.

Any comments, suggestions or flames?  (I hope mutilating Lego is a lesser
sin than using non-Lego parts.)

I open up and file down the tabs, then use the 3cm pnumatic cylinders to move
the points.  Right now, I don't have any of them connected, because I can reach
all the switches, which means that it is kind of redundant to activate the
points in that manor.  I'd like to do some more on the upper level, but the 3
cm cylinder is now discontined, which is a shame, since now I have the space to
use this system, and I cannot get the part I need for it...go figure.

I mount the 'motors' above track level, they are about 3 bricks high, but they
have to be (gasp!) glued together, since even with the tabs filed down, the
motors tend to fall apart...of course, they were being used in about 5 feet
from where I could get without removing the bridge

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/2049/legocity.html

the third picture down, so you can imagine why I didn't like them falling apart
:)

James P