 General / 15957
Re: Great posts( was Re: Apathy? (was: WAMALUG's GATS Layout was a huge success!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 14:15:14 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
I hate "me too" posts but what an excellent post.

Well in fear of this being another "Me Too" post here goes.  I agree with all
that has been said here but I thought I would add some NELUG perspective.

If we ever get to excluding people who love the brick just because they
love it in a different way, we've failed. Just because castle isn't my
cup of tea doesn't mean I can't hurt my jaw in amazement by the
castlehead work of late (there's so MUCH to love I won't name names),
and just because I don't choose to do war models doesn't mean that I
can't be wowed by Carl G's Panzer and Joe's Corsair and LFB's capital
ships... and just because I don't paint my bricks doesn't mean I can't
be stunned by Craigo's work and just because I choose to use a 6 wide
form factor doesn't mean that I can't admire 8 wide models too. I part
ways with Todd here because I want to include those who like clones too.
I'll NEVER sell my Tente collection, although I don't see myself buying
any mega any time soon.

I would have to agree.  Plus I would have to add some of the sculpting done by
Eric Harshbarger.  I can't say I am a fan of clones though.

In terms of all the great Castle stuff recently I think much of that is because
people have started to build stuff besides just Castle's.  I think the LEGO
Castle theme is being transformed by the castle love's into more like the Town
or Train themes just this is "Medieval" Town.  Town people don't just build
Fire Stations, Police Stations, and Constrution Crews.  Train People don't just
build railroad equipment.  So why should Castle folks just build Casltes?

I think this is a natural progression and I expect to see it in other theme's
as well.

Mike's "I'm in a competition" post is spot on too. He's competing in a
good way. GMLTC may lose some superlatives like "biggest privately owned
layout" if Mike makes a bigger legomodular, but that's ALL that GMLTC
will lose, the layout isn't going to dry up and blow away.

I think I agree here.  In general I am not a big fan of "competitions" although
I do like CLSotW and the LDraw MotM and Pat J. ran his Star Wars contest well.

I think that "competition" in the sense you use it here is good.  I think this
is what has led to much of the great Castle stuff you mentioned before.  It
seems that each time someone posts there it inspires someone else to do
something at least equally as good if not better.

This outcome of having regional clubs in different regions is GREAT for
GATS, it means that they can if they want to, have LEGO layouts at many
of their shows without having to pay for cross country travel by one
club.

Again I would agree but not just in terms of GATS I think any toy or hobby expo
would be glad to have the regional clubs participate.  We are finally being
noticed in a public arena and with exposure the next step is acceptance of LEGO
as an Adult hobby (this has already happened in many respects)

And if we can somewhere, someday, build a superduper legomodular layout
ala the Ntrak gang, that would be awesome.

Now that would be cool.  I love Ntrak for what it is and the best thing about
Ntrak is that you don't have to have thousands of dollars to spend to
participate.  If you can make a 4'x2' section and hold to the spec's for trak
location then you can join your module to any other Ntrak module.

I think to have similar standards set for a LEGO modular layout would be
awesome.  I realise that in a way GMLTC already has a similar standard but
their modules while looking awesome are expensive.

But clubs are, and should be, about more than trains.

Absolutely, NELUG for example is one of the few organizations that has yet to
do anything involving trains.  We have had a few members join saying they love
trains but I don't think they have come to an offical meeting just yet.  I
would say that from the subisions we have received that Mindstorms/Robitics is
what most of our members do then after that it is probably Star Wars and
Castle.

My hope for NELUG is that in time we will not only have our general meeting but
that we will have some "sub-meetings" or "theme oriented" meetings as well.  We
have done a little of that with Castle but that is it.

Another thing I would like to do is have some building sessions like WAMALUG
has had.  I also want to start building up a NELUG LEGO collection that is
owned by the group.  Then finally I would really like to one day have a NELUG
"Club House".  I realize that some of this will happen long before the rest and
that some of it might just be a dream but my view is that you have to look
towards the future.

WAMALUG is off to just an amazing start. I think it would be useful to
have some of the members comment on factors that they suspect may have
helped, as it's info that the rest of us want to have available to us as
well.

WAMALUG is off to a fantastic start.  Great work.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/

View My Creations at: