 General / 16031
Re: Apathy? (was: WAMALUG's GATS Layout was a huge success!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 18:01:26 GMT

Gary Istok <gistok@umich.edu> wrote in message
Wow Mike, you really have set the "bar"  higher as to your LEGO • aspirations.  Going
against Conan.  Wow, that would take some doing.  The way I would suggest
competing, is with "quality over quantity" (my own philosophy).   But it • doesn't
hurt to have all the pieces you need!

Gary Istok

Mr. I have more classic windows than the rest of Lugnet combined talking
about not going for quantity?  Your collection dwarfs all but a handful of
serious people's.  I would suspect that as collections grow, the emphasis
switches from quantity to quality, but I am still going after both.  I want
a nice high quality layout, but I want one that fills the garage.

My idea for the layout is more like Progressive Jpeg.  First, get the basic
grainy and blocky look  up so that you know what you have to work with, then
continually pass over the entire layout, adding details on each pass until
it looks perfect.  I could spend weeks on a single building if I were going
strictly for quality, but a lot of putting that level of detailing in
requires the perfect pieces, so I will just keep building on other areas
until the pieces become available.  If I run out of windows, I will get more
in the future when some set hits the price flash point and until then, I can
build something else.  Sure, it leaves tons of unfinished projects, but it
lets me keep building all the time.

I suppose that much of my plan stems from the fact that you really need a
loop for the train to run and that entails making all the modules and laying
the track as the first phase and adding detailing second.  In that regard, I
have little choice in the way I proceed.  Besides, these blue tubs will be
gone in a year and I doubt that bulk bricks will get much cheaper in the
future.  I figure that I better strike while the timing is right.  Once the
bases are done, I will have years to be able to further detail them out and
if I want to expand the layout, it will not be at such a mad rush as it is
now.

Mike Poindexter