 General / 15810
Re: Apathy? (was: WAMALUG's GATS Layout was a huge success!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 18:57:26 GMT

In lugnet.general, Stephen F. Roberts writes:
Tom Stangl <toms@netscape.com> wrote:

OK, now where's that website with all the info on how to build it?  ;-)  I • hope
you do a "DCC for Dummies", an EE I am NOT.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cook_thomas/

...His instructions seem strait forward enuf... tho I'm still a bit
nervous about soldering near a LEGO motor... Im trying to convince Tom
to make a business out of this 'for a nominal fee' :-)

I'd be willing to do the mechanical changes.  My suggestion would be to get
some Indium based solder rather than even 60-40.  I use some made by Carrs in
the UK, and have no problems with it...the flux is hydrofloric acid though...so
I'm not dead sure it is legal for sale in the US.

Tom, if you want me to, I can inquire as to the cost of decoders here (probably
stupidly expensive).

I seriously thought about getting DCC for my little layout, which is only 12"
by 60", not because of the advantage of having multi trains running, but
because of having full voltage availabe all the time to burn through any crud
on the track.  When I last investigated it, it would have cost $600 CDN for a
Digitrax setup, not including decoders.

James P