 General / 15800
Re: Apathy? (was: WAMALUG's GATS Layout was a huge success!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 17:14:03 GMT

OK, now where's that website with all the info on how to build it?  ;-)  I hope
you do a "DCC for Dummies", an EE I am NOT.

Tom Cook wrote:

I attempted to add some info to Chris' comments.

"Christopher Tracey" <ctracey@wamalug.org> wrote in message
Hi Mike,

Mike Poindexter wrote:
How many different trains can be run before addressing and/or power • drain
problems occur?

We had five trains and six(maybe seven) moters running on the layout
without
any significant problems.  Our DCC system could only support five
addresses.

Technically we could have run 10 trains, but it only has 5 throttles, so you
have to switch back and forth.  If you need more power, you can add as many
boosters to the layout as needed.  MRC sells a DCC booster rated at EIGHT
amps.

How are multiple motors on one loco (or 2 DCC enabled locos on one • train)
handled?  Do they share the same address (not sure if that is the proper
term) or is it even possible?

My GP-35 had two moters attached to it, both assigned to the same address.
One of the metroliners had two seperate engines assigned the same address.

With the MRC Command 2000, you must do as Chris explains, but with more
expensive systems, you can use the "MU" or Multiple Unit function to link
any number of motors of any number of addresses to be controlled by one
throttle.

Can you change that address easily (to allow 2 or more motors to accept • the
same commands)?

Yes, we have a 'setup track' where we assign address to engines.  This
requires
all trains in the system to be stopped.  Tom can explain this in more
detail.

Again, the Command 2000 requires all trains to be stopped, more expensive
systems do not.  A motor can be reprogrammed in seconds.

Is there the option to send a DCC command to turn on the power plate • section
of the motor to operate other things, like moving people or rotate a
searchlight?

yes, all of lighted engines were set up this way.

Chris is absolutely correct.  I choose to hook up the headlight function to
the power plate.  You could hook up an "accessory" control instead.

I actually haven't had much time to look at the pictures of the Wamalug
set-up.  I have only gone through about half of them.

We are a little over-zealous on our photography aren't we :)

-chris