 Trains / 4542
Re: Train engine transmission
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 20:10:34 GMT

Modern
locomotives (which are not Diesel for the most part, they are usually
turbines, if you stand next to one as it winds up, and don't realize
that they use turbines, you may start looking for the airplane...)

I'd _love_ to see that engine...all you are hearing is the Turbocharger for the
Diesel engine spooling up...which, is in effect, a turbine, but it is not
powering the train :)  The last Turbine powered engines were the UP's 8500HP
monsters, and they have been gone for quite a while now.

One place where you can really hear the results of the fact that
differentials are not used in trains is on subway lines, especially in
the Park Street station on the Boston MBTA. There is a reversing loop
there which can't be much more than a 100 foot radius curve, and boy do
the trains squeal going around it.

You don't need to have a differenctial in a train, because the angle on the
wheels works with the track to give a differencial effect, as long as the curve
radius is a normal railway radius :)  Subways are something different, in a lot
of ways.  I know of _model_ engines that wouldn't make it around a 100' radius
curve...ours didn't like less than 45' radius.

James Powell