 Trains / 4580
Re: Bay-Window Caboose and a few other cars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 07:54:00 GMT

Christopher Tracey wrote:

Although I haven't put a web page up yet, I thought this group might
enjoy a few pics of some recent train car creations

bay window caboose.
3/4 view   http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2430
mounting   http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2428
underside  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2429

Nice, do you mean clear slopes that are like windshiels, transparent, or like
roof bricks, translucent. If you mean roof bricks I do not think that will
give you the look you want. I do not mean to be presumptuous but you could try
mounting 1x2x2 windows at an angle. Ben ( http://www.pnltc.org/Gal_engines.htm
) and I ( http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/trains/trolleys/trolleys.htm)
have both used the technique on our trolleys.

I may replace some of the side slope bricks with clear slopes
to represent the forward/back facing windows.
It's loosely modeled after an Erie-Lackawanna caboose.

----------------
Centerbeam flat

When I saw this in the WAMALUG pictures I said, quietly to myself, "Hey, that
look just like one of those cars. What is it for?'

Why do I always forget to put loads on my cars???  Actually I built
this with Denise's bricks.  When I build my own I want to use the 1x3x1
dual inverse slopes for the top of the center beam, I think this would
create a prototypical look with the addition of more vertical
members/holes.

ribbed roof boxcar
Nothing much to say about this one, it was a study to see if I could create
that ribbed roof look.  When this goes into rebuild I plan on using 2x3
slopes instead of 4x3.  It will also have ladders ala the boxcar on the
left.

tank car
standard tank car, I just got a few of those technic subs so I had to put
those cylinders to a good use.  This car was amazingly strong for having
a frame made out of 1x10 plates.  It only broke once during the show.
During the next rebuild, it will have roof walks, brakes wheels, etc.

sw-7/9 switcher
A study for a switcher, I call it the raccoon engine because of the
mask-like
face.  This will be totally rebuilt.

prototype- http://www.kreative.net/ctracey/temp/el/el_411.jpg

-----