 Trains / 4544
Re: Replacement for old style train wheel rubber bands
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 21:20:53 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tom Stangl writes:
I'll say it again - good quality rubberized heatshrink tubing should work • fine, and
will lock down quite tightly if you find the right size.  And if you use a
lighter/heatgun carefully (or like me when I shrink the stuff, use a butane
soldering iron with the hot air attachment), you won't harm the wheels at all.
Just wave it at the tubing quickly, shrinking little spots at a time, until • it is
all shrunk without heating the wheel up.

This seems to be the best idea. I have used shrink-wrap before on motorcycle
wiring and used a rag soaked in boiling water to effect the shrink. This
should not melt the Lego wheels but please note that Lego claim a maximum of
40 degrees C when washing parts.

One other advantage of this stuff - I was in an RS component store yesterday
and they had loads of shrink-wrap on display in fluorescent pink!

Jon

John Gerlach wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Callahan writes:
Do you have old worn out locomotive wheel rubber bands?  I do and have • found a
solution that I thought I'd share -=orthodontic rubber bands=- .

<snip>
You can also try the small bands sold for tying up hair into ponytails.  You
can get a package of about a zillion for a couple of dollars.  They are
usually different sizes, but you should be able to find something that fits.

JohnG, GMLTC