 Trains / 4572
Talgo Update: Amtrak Cascadish Gull-Wing Car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 23:24:11 GMT

Even though a red, white, and black color scheme is incorrect for the Amtrak
Cascades line in the Pacific Northwest, I have continued to develop this
passenger trainset in the afore mentioned colors.

To this end, a "gull-wing" type of Talgo end-unit car is needed to interface
with the locomotive.  Two color striping versions of the gull-wing car are now
showing at my web site in a nearly complete 6 unit train set. The second
locomotive is currently being built at the factory ;-)

http://www.ee.nmt.edu/~jmathis/talgo.html

Unique to the Talgo end-unit gull-wing car is an unshared, close-spaced,
pivoting monoaxle.  This is similar to the close-spaced dual axle used on my
red German double-decker passenger car set.  Different is the fact that the
coupler to the locomotive is a ball-and-socket on a 2x2 turntable.  The
turntable is used to get just a little more pivot in the coupling that was
needed.

http://www.ee.nmt.edu/~jmathis/bilevel.html

Thanks for taking a look.  Modeling the Talgo trainset has turned into one of
the most exciting (for me) trainsets that I've built in quite a while.

Why not green?
If you're silently asking me this question, I have this answer(s):

1.  The red/white stripe train doors and white train-frame windows have gone
unused in any model for a long time, so I figured I should do something with
them.  I've started, so why stop?  ;-)

2.  The majority of my green bricks are currently used in other models; namely
four green tri-axle passenger cars, John Deere-like tractor, and the green
stripe on Cisalpino train.  Many Star Wars EP1 green "flash speeders" would be
needed to get the 1/4-curved bricks in green that are used along the top of the
locomotive.  An unaccounted quantity of green slopes and inverse slopes would
be needed- I don't know if I have, or could get the quantities needed.  Oh,
also a couple of Star Wars Slave 1's to get 3-brick tall regular slopes in
green.  However, I rather prefer the shorter 2-brick tall regular slopes (I
only have the 2-brick tall slopes in red and white).  Green 2-brick tall
slopes?  Anyone?  I'm not sure they are available.

3.  Maybe someone else will be inspired to build a better likeness of the
Amtrak Cascades Talgo line in the proper color scheme?
I think that'd be very cool!

later,
James Mathis