 Technic / 2390
Re: Two original Technic creations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 22:18:43 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Jennifer Clark writes:
Ralph Hempel wrote:

In light of the recent thread on modifying parts in lugnet.build, I think
you had better come clean and tell us which part you modified, why you
modified it, and how you modified it.

OK, I'll 'fess up. I had a technic beam which was covered on one side, and the
requirement to put an axle through it to hold a wheel type thing on. Because • one
side was obscured, it was not possible to get a bush to hold the axle at the
back, so I had to use the grey "pin with axle" instead. However, this is a
pretty weedy part which can pop out and tends to have a lot of jitter, so a
modified a "3 length axle with stud" by first cutting 1 stud length off the
non-studded end, then sanding down the stud until it was flush with the beam.
This leaves enough of the stud to prevent it from "falling through" the beam,
and is a stronger solution than the "pin with axle". It is actually a very
useful part to have.

I suppose part of the justification for this type of mod is the "well, if
I worked for Lego I'd be able to get a custom part, so I don't see why I can't
just go ahead and do it". Given the degree of contrivance in some official • lego
parts, I feel quite justified in this :-)

Right on!!! :) I like nothing better than sawing away at my Lego, and gluing
them together for the greater purpose, I just make sure that the parts aren't
vital for something else:)

Did you try taking a piece of "handle" (from something that fits in a minifigs
hand) and insert it into the pin with axle, as that will lock it better in
place, although not totally.

regards
John

PS. Who needs the studs on the 3L axles anyway?:) *gone in search of more
sanding paper*