 Technic / 2286
Re: Two original Technic creations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 12:29:54 GMT

I tend to think of anything with less than 200 parts as a parts pack to lump
in with bigger stuff ...  Like sets with around as many pieces as the
Mindstorms Vision system - most could be classified as a fairly good parts
pack, and a quicktime camera as a bonus.

I realized that TLG were pretty smart pricing the vision system relatively
cheaply and not including too many parts in it - an excellent move.  It will
encourage people to just buy one or two vision system kits, and some other
packs for spare parts to go along with the vision system.  Plus it's not too
pricey this way, won't need to have stores clearance it.  :-)

The really good thing that TLG did, and this too is quite smart, is that
they've also introduced the rotation sensor as an accessory pack, and didn't
put it into a set - kind of saves having to bargain hunt, and will allow
people to buy whatever they need for their projects without too much hassle.
One thing bugs me though - what will I do with 9 or 10 extra remote control
units?  :-)

The 9736 is a real bargain for those needing Mindstorms RIS control units.
I can only guess at their popularity, they'll be selling fairly fast.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde

Selçuk Göre <ssgore@superonline.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.technic, Jennifer Clark writes:
Selçuk Göre wrote:

But I love "wow"ing when I completed an official model, and the
new sets steals this pleasure from me, except some really good models • of
course. The mid to small size range for the last several years, looks
like just some futuristic idioticity to my eyes..:-(

There is a recent model I am still undecided about, the Monster Crane • Truck
(8446). It has some pretty cool mechanisms, especially the grab, and is • very
well constructed, but from an appearance point of view would look more in • place
on the "Space 1999" film set (just think of it in white) than on a • construction
site or in a foundry. The point is, I don't know if this is necessarily • good
or
bad. Same with the colour (green), which from my own spare parts point of • view
is pretty dire, but for the model it seems to work well.

However, the fact that I got it for 18 quid from Argos makes it an • excellent
set.

Jennifer Clark

I can easily add 8462 Pneumatic Tow Truck to this category. I don't own • the
set, but from the incpection of its box, it looks like very nice from the
functional/mechanical point of view, and surely it's a heavenly parts • pack,
especially pneumaticwise, but look at these cab and wheels!..

And yes, if I would have found any of the two for 18 USD each, of course I
would never mind "what a piece of junk" they are from the looks..:-)

Selçuk